01 | Epilogue

Epilogue >> Chapter 01
¤ u n e d i t e d ¤

The horizon is painted with vibrant colors of red and orange as day slowly turned to night. The forest is lightly illuminated by the remaing sunlight that stretched across the earth before the sun left the horizon. Creatures of the night began to creep above the earth while day creatures rested for the long night ahead.

Tall trees surrounded the trio as they quietly crept through the forest in search of a sound. Birds rattled the upper branches of the tall redwoods that enveloped them. The mossy forest floors were coated with fallen branches and brown leaves.

In the bushes, the crickets sang their song while other insects returned to their homes. The forest is calm, it's inhabitants creating soft sounds. Birds chirp their song while some hummed to sleep. Small rodents traveled across the treetops causing some leaves to float to the ground.

Three young teens scouted the area, each holding a weapon. Each of them walked cautiously, as if they were about to awaken the forest from its light slumber.

A tall brunette that stood around five foot seven walked cautiously, listening to his surroundings. His teal eyes narrowed and his brows furrow as he concentrates. He held his charcoal colored pistol tightly, his finger resting on the trigger. He was ready to fire at any given moment. His combat boots crunched the dead leaves bellow him as he proceeded forward.

Although he held a stern expression, he felt the opposite. Every inch of the teen's body was filled with absolute terror. His body was steamy. Perspiration being visible on his face.

His blond friend followed closely behind, his blond hair sticking to his pale face. The rattling of his gun made it clear that he didn't want to be there.

"Eren, we should turn back." He says anxiously to his friend, his voice shaking slightly. "There isn't anything here, you were probably just hearing noises..."

"Sh-" Eren placed a finger over his lips. The blond gulps.

A raven haired female walked behind them, her pale face remaining expressionless. Her only instincts at the moment were to kill and protect. When it came to her, emotions were difficult to read, especially at a time like this; however, by the way she stared at her brother, Eren, from behind, she hinted worry.

Just moments ago, the trio had rested alongside the riverbank for water. Eren's attention was caught by the sudden shift in nature. He swore that he heard a shotgun, but he wasn't sure. No matter what the sound may be, he needed to make sure.

The frightened blond taps his friend's shoulder, "Eren, we're heading in the wrong direction. Let's turn back. Please," he whispers.

"Armin, I said sh!" Eren whispers harshly. Armin took a step back, retreating to the dark-eyed female.

"Mikasa. Something doesn't feel right..." Armin whispers to her.

Mikasa places a hand on Armin's shoulder, reassuring him that he would be alright. Armin smiled faintly, his face filled with worry.

Eren raises a brow as he creeps quietly among the thorn bushes. He relaxes himself and let his sense of sound take over.

Rustling trees.