Chapter 29. In the Afternoon*

Chapter 29. In the Afternoon by Van Morrison

Evan awoke the way she had awakened the last several mornings, contentedly wrapped up in Emil's arms. However, she was usually warm as she had always worn her flannel nightgown, and had kept blankets between them. This morning, her chest was cold, like someone was holding a cold glass on her skin, against her sternum. Evan flexed her fingers, having become used to a relatively colder hand while she held Emil's. The motion brought the coolness against more of her chest, and she remembered she had not put on pajamas when she crawled into bed early this morning. Evan's eyes snapped open, her hand stilling where it was at as her breath caught in her chest.

She slowly turned her face to look into the beautiful eyes that were now looking down at her. He withdrew his hand from hers, grazing the sensitive skin of her breast under his hand as he pulled away. She gasped at the sensation, but tried to quickly cover the prickling of her skin in response by pulling the covers up to her neck and rolling over.

"Good morning," she said slowly, still having to stretch once she had turned onto her back. She clamped the covers to her chest, to keep her modesty. She thought it kind of silly, after last night, but she was more aware of her nakedness in the daylight. Where is my towel? Evan thought as she said, "What time is it?"

"Nearly one o'clock," Emil said, with a smirk. "Did we keep you up long enough to start getting back on your schedule?"

"I guess!" Evan exclaimed, looking around the room in the bright midday light. She was not quite sure what to say this morning in the glaring light of day.

"Hungry? I could cook for you," Emil offered.

Evan laughed disbelievingly, "You cook?"

"It can't be that hard. I get bored and watch television sometimes. The Food Network is sometimes the only channel with programs worth watching. What would you like?" Emil said, this time giving another of his wide handsome smiles.

This Evan had to see. So far he had been revolted by everything she had eaten, choosing to leave most of the time, or at least be in another room. She was not offended, but amused. "Okay, how about something simple, like eggs and toast? Surely you couldn't mess that up."

"I'll be back in a moment, don't get up. Breakfast in bed," Emil said as he vaulted off the bed, nearly to the door.

Evan knew she only had as long as it took the eggs to cook to get something on, since he moved so fast. She jumped out of the bed, with much less grace, tangled up in her towel and the bed sheets, nearly sprawling across the floor, but catching herself on the bulky bed frame before she crashed. She grabbed the first thing out of her bag and pulled on the black knit pants and tank top. She bounded back to the bed, and pulled the covers back over her. Only minutes later Emil returned with a tray containing scrambled eggs, toast that was a little too dark and some juice.

"The coffee will be ready in a moment," he said, waiting for her to sit more upright in the bed. "I don't have those fancy breakfast trays that sit over your lap, just this one, so you'll have to balance it."

Evan straightened her legs out in front of her and put a hand on either side of the tray so she was sure it was balanced. She took a tentative bite of the eggs. Nothing wrong there. She picked up the toast and ate it, although it was a little dry, she wouldn't complain. She was grateful for the orange juice.

Once she finished chewing, she said, "Very good, Emil. Thanks. I am impressed."

He rewarded her compliment with another small smile. "Finally, I can do something for you that I deserve gratitude for."