Epilogue

Epilogue. Up Up Up by Givers

One year later...

"...Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday dear Michael Grace...Happy birthday to you!" chorused the voices of all those gathered on the roof of her apartment. It was an unseasonably warm March 29th, the day Michael Grace was born.

A little girl clapped her hands eagerly and she blew out the single candle lit atop a small cake. Although she was only a year old, she had the appearance of a three year old. Long coal black curls hung around her shoulders and luminous emerald green eyes entranced all around her.

"Oh, thank you! Thank you everybody!" she cried in a high-pitched little girl voice. Michael Grace had been talking aloud for eleven months, surprising no one in her small family, as she had been able to communicate clearly telepathically from her first day.

Evan and Emil stood at the end of the decorated picnic table that held beautifully wrapped gifts for their daughter. Nathan held Michael Grace on his lap and helped her to open her gifts, one at a time, reminding her to use her manners.

After opening a frilly pink and gold box containing a doll that held a remarkable resemblance to Michael Grace, he nudged her in the ribs and with her little pink mouth, filled with teeth, a few of which were pointed like fangs, she said politely, "Thank you Uncle Jean and Uncle Hawk."

Although Nathan was her favorite person in the entire world, her Uncles spoiled her rotten, Jean and Hawk the worst. They competed with each other for her affection, but were never disappointed, as Michael was not stingy with hugs and kisses for those she loved.

Next, she opened a shiny blue round box that held dress up clothes. There were fancy shoes, a tiara, dresses and several other costumes inside. Her eyes lit up with delight when she found a firefighter costume and a police officer costume. Holding up the toy gun and holster, she exclaimed, "Thank you Uncle Xavier! You know just what I like!"

Laughter went up all around. Despite her doll-like appearance, it was rapidly becoming apparent that Michael Grace was a tomboy. She had already torn the lace hem on her party dress, and scuffed the toes of her white patent leather shoes when she fell chasing Nathan around the garden on the rooftop. The next gift was from her Uncle Aiden. It was wrapped a little less elaborately than the others, the bow hanging lopsided from the bag, as if it had been an afterthought.

Pulling the tissue from the bag, she squealed in delight. Nathan helped her pull a pair of drumsticks and a tambourine out.

"Oh no!" Evan cried, giving Aiden the evil eye. "Where is the rest of that?"

He pulled an innocent face and said, "Emil helped me set it up in the music room. I thought he told you."

Evan turned her glare on her husband and he shrugged helplessly. "We didn't have a drum set in the music room. What was I supposed to say?"

Giving in, Evan smiled and shook her head. "At least the room is sound proofed."

There were five gifts still sitting on the table. Nathan pushed a tiny package aside and pulled a square box over that was half her size. She stood up on the picnic bench and began pulling the paper off. She had mastered this skill at Christmas when she had been drowned in presents. Nathan helped pull the top open and grinned as Michael took a deep breath.

"Oooh! Books! My favorite!" she cried. She looked over to Marie, her daddy's secretary, jumped down and ran over and gave the small woman a big hug.

Marie was nearly knocked off Xavier's lap when the solid little girl hit her with open arms. She laughed as Xavier caught her and held on so she would not sprawl all over the ground. When Michael Grace returned to her place on Nathan's lap, Marie turned and placed a small kiss on Xavier's cheek.