Chapter 18

"Jeff did you get those papers I asked for!? Mike! Where the hell is my coffee!? For fuck sake would someone please just give me some good news!" the dark skinned prison warden gripped furiously as his coiled hair, pacing furiously about the small office that was jam packed with officers and prison guards. Several people scattered away frantically when the warden approached them, hurrying to busy themselves with papers and phone calls. The warden halted all of a sudden, massaging the top of his head with his rough knuckles. "In twenty years we've never had an escapee...and now this!?" he slammed a large fist on a nearby desk, causing a female officer to shriek in shock. "Kirkland!" he barked, catching sight of the British prison guard attempting to edge himself to the exit of the crowded office. "Get over here!"

"Y-Yes Sir?" Arthur answered anxiously, tentatively approaching the warden from behind a desk.

The warden pointed a thick finger in the man's face. "I want you and Jones to take squad car 18 and scout out the general area, my understanding is that out of all of our staff you knew Ludwig, and you were the closest to him, am I right?" he questioned quietly in a low growl.

Arthur shifted nervously on the spot. "Well, close is a strong word Sir, I knew of him..." he muttered vaguely.

"You knew him well enough to know the man's history." the warden glowered, moving closer to the Brit. "If I find out that you're withholding information Kirkland, I could very easily have you put away." he slowly stood back up, his rather worn and usually tired looking face the picture of cold rage and frustration. "Find him, bring him back here, you know the man so you should know exactly where he's headed."

Arthur tried hard to mask his involuntary swallow, thankfully the warden had already rounded on some other poor officer and left the Brit alone amongst the sea of worried, anxious, stressed out faces. For a few moments he just stood silently in the office, not moving at all, eventually however, he knew he needed to get on with his job. With a heavy sigh, Arthur grabbed his coat that was hanging over the back of a desk chair and he tugged it on. Before he could even squeeze his way past and out into the corridor however, a worried face appeared in the doorway and was hurriedly making her way over to him.

"Arthur..." Elizaveta grabbed the man's arm when she reached him through the crowd of staff, she stared up at him with wide eyes. She was wearing her green travelling coat and looked as if she had just been on her way home. "Is it true?" the Hungarian asked in a soft whisper.

The Brit nodded slowly. "Yes, Ludwig got out, did no one tell you?"

"Everyone's been too busy sorting out the riot, I had to see to all the injured inmates and sign death certificates for those ones who were killed." Elizaveta told him, biting her lip slightly. "Oh gosh, I can't believe it, poor Ludwig, he's probably so lost and afraid..."

Arthur sighed. "Yes...listen Liz, I've really got to go." the Brit tried to side step past the young woman but a guard bustled across his path and prevented him from moving, in the momentary stumble the Hungarian took the chance to grab hold of his arm to prevent him from leaving.

"Arthur where are you going?" Elizaveta asked suddenly rather assertively, her big green eyes boring into the man above her.

The Brit gazed down at her with a blank expression for several long seconds, she continue to stare imploringly up at him and Arthur sighed. "You know where I'm going, Elizaveta." he said finally in a low voice.

"Arthur please..." Elizaveta whispered. "...you're Ludwig's friend."

Arthur's eyes flitted around the crowded office hurriedly and he quickly ushered the Hungarian towards an empty corner where nobody was stood occupying the space. He turned her to face him, his brow creasing with concern. "I know, but listen Liz I can't just do nothing, I know where Ludwig is, I know where he's gone..." his voice was so soft he had to lean down towards Elizaveta for her to understand him. "...we both know full well where he is, and I have to act on it."