He finds her

"My mom is on her way home, Duncan." Sean turned to his friend with a certain amount of trepidation. "She's different than the women of your pack, or even the women you are used to. You'll be happy to know that she won't throw herself at you, or flirt or make nasty or snide innuendos. She's just not made that way. She's....hold on a sec. My phone's going off again." He quickly looked down at his phone as they were going into the kitchen door. "Looks like mom's friend made better time than she thought.The airport wasn't quite as crowded as she had first thought and they will be here in about ten minutes." Sean put his phone down on the counter and turned to his friend.

"Duncan, I need to talk to you about my mom for a moment and I'm afraid that I will offend you." He chewed on the inside of his lip, something he did when he was nervous.

"Talk away my boy. It takes a lot to offend me. You know that." Duncan was glad for the lad's unassuming friendship. He didn't care that he was the Alpha of the largest pack in the United Kingdom, that he was over 250 years old, or that he was even a Were. That's why they were friends, because Sean took people at face value. A trait, he said, he learned from his mother.

"I'm very protective of my mom, as is her best friend. She's not used to being around sexually aggressive people and I dont want you to scare her. She's a widow and I think she could use the company, just not in her bed and...and ..." Sean was at lose on how to say what he knew needed saying.

"My dear boy, are you trying to tell me that your mother and her bedroom are off-limits, and that I should not try to court her? That she is a moral and upright person and of good and sound character and you would like me to respect that?" Duncan asked with a twinkle in his eye, knowing the boy was uncomfortable.

"Yes, that's exactly what I'm trying to say." Sean breathed a deep sigh of relief at Duncan's word, knowing his friend understood.

"What should happen if I discover that she is my mate?" Duncan asked him with one eyebrow raised.

"That's not funny, Duncan! Don't even joke about that. My mom just might lose her sanity trying to wrap her head around things like that! It's not that I mind you as a step-father, but I'm not certain that mom is ready for an emotional attachment or even something deeper like what happens between Were mates."

"You make it sound like being my mate would be a curse and not something to celebrate. I think I'm hurt. Besides, I've given up on the idea of a mate. I've lived this long and not found her, and frankly, I don't think she really exists. At least, not for me. I know we wolves have them, I just don't think that God himself has created one for me."

"I'm sorry, Duncan. I know that all wolves long for their mate and that many die never knowing her. It breaks my heart that you are one of them."

Just then headlights form a big pickup truck shone through the kitchen window as it pulled up to the house. Time enough to finish this conversation later."Shall we go beard the lion in its den?"

"That's not funny, Duncan."

"Yes it is my boyo. If you could see your face right now, you would understand. Sean, you've done nothing wrong. Calm down." Duncan was amused to watch his young friend almost twisting in the wind, so to speak. The boy was usually very calm and collected. Right now the prospect of facing his mother and her anger was something to see. He personally, couldn't wait to meet this woman.

About that time a tall woman walked into the kitchen carrying a backpack and a suitcase as well as a breifcase. "She's in the truck, Sean. You'll have to go and get her and carry her in. She's sick and has taken something to help her sleep. I can't get her to wake up, so...therefore, you carry her in." In typical Carrie fashion, she rushed into to an explaination without pausing for breath or stopping to notice anything else. Putting his mom's bags down on the floor she finally notices he had a guest.

"Oh...hello. Sean didn't tell me that he had company. I would have taken Katie to my house, if he had. She doesn't need to be under the same roof with an unmarried man."

"You don't think much my me or my morals, do you, lady? The bad thing is, you don't even know me, and how do you know that I'm not married?" Duncan didn't care for the woman's attitude and was not afraid to let her see it.

"Duncan, this is my mom's best friend, Carrie. Carrie, this is my friend from Scotland, Duncan." Sean could feel the tension in the air and sought to difusse it quickly.

"No sir, I don't know you. But I do know human nature. My friend has been alone for a while now and I don't want temptation to cause her to do anything that she will regret." Typical Carrie. She meant well, but she still came out sounding a little judgmental.

"Sean, do you wan me to carra in your mum for you? I have had a verra long trip and it is tired that I am. I just wan to get abed a soon as may be." Sean knew that when Duncans brogue became thick he was upset.

"Carrie, why don't you finish bringing in mom's luggage and I'll get her bed ready. I will be staying tonight and in the mornong we can let mom decide if she can handle the "temptation of a man staying her with her. I'm sure she would appreiciate your trying to protect her and her morals but she is a grown woman." Best to get ahold o the situation quickly before something is said that would put his mom in the middle, which would hurt her.

Sean turned to his friend and answered affirmative. " That would be great, Duncan. Mom's room is up the stairs, turn right and go to the tower room. Carrie and I will put her to bed when you get her there."

Duncan went outside to the big truck to find it completely in the dark. That was fine, he didn't need light. His Were senses were much better than a human's anyway. Just as he was opening the door of the truck the smell hit him and almost knocked him backwards. His wolf was acreaming in his head, "Mate, mate mate!" All he wanted to do was carry her upstairs to her room, strip her and mark her. Unnfortunately, he couldn't do that. That woman was here, acting as protector. Katie was as safe as a newborn babe with him. He would never hurt her. But her friend didn't know that. As Duncan looked down at her his breath caught in his throat. She was beautiful. Her body was lush, a woman's body, with a woman's curves and the maturity of a woman's body. Her scent was driving him crazy. It was sweet and spicy all at the same time. If he had to describe it, he would have to say sandalwood, myrrh, cinnamon, brown sugar and the sweetest chocolate that he had ever smelled.

Duncan picked his mate up and carried gently inside the house. He carried up the stairs and to her room as if she weighed nothing. Which to him, she didn't. One of the attributes of werewolves was great strength, as well as longevity. Among other things. He laid Katie gently on her bed and with great reluctance left her to allow that woman, as he was beginning to think of her, and her son to get her out of her clothes and into her gown. With his superior hearing he could hear the conversation in is mate's bedroom.

"Sean, you are going to stay here with her tonight, right? I mean, in her room." Carrie's words were almost a hiss as she tried her best to assume the responsibility for this situation.

"No Carrie, I'm not. I don't believe that Duncan will be so ovrcome with lust that he would come into mom's room while she slept and molest her in any way. And I really resent the implication that he would. Really, Carrie. You need a man of your own to occupy yourself. Maybe then, you might learn to trust others. Maybe it's you who has no faith in anyone or their own sense of restraint. You certainly act like it. What happened to you to make you think bad of everyone? Either way, I thank you, for picking up mom at the airport and for bringing her the long drive home. Now I think it is time for you to leave. I'm sure that your own children need you to take care of them." Sean did not bother to soften his words with a smile. He was a little agrieved at her attitude that this situation could deteroiate into one of complete and utter debauchery, with no thought to the outcome or consquences.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I chose plus-sized models for my two female characters. Skinny is nice when your young, but a woman's body fills out with things like childbirth and age. Some of us do really well and some of us don't. These women do it well.

Please comment and tell me what you think. This is not going to be a quick story, I think. I also think that Carrie should have her own story to explain all of her baggage. Thoughts appreciated.