Chapter One

I sat in the café, watching the people pass by. Being here brought back too many memories. So many good memories of Australia and some bad ones of those who left me. People leave me. It's a fact of my life. My father left us when I was 5. My friends left me when I became friends with a boy in our class. That boy became my best friend. But, of course, he left me too. They all do eventually.

"Excuse me, but is this seat taken?" A blonde boy asks me. He's tall. Soooo tall. At least 6'4". I'm only like 5'6" so I'm so short in comparison.

"Yeah. I was just leaving." I grab my bag and walk out the door without another word.

* * * * * * * *

"Hi sweetheart? Are you on the plane yet?" My mother asks. She has been so excited to see me after I lived in America for two years, and the fact that I had to stop in Melbourne just made her more antsy.

"Not yet. I'm about to board though." I explain.

"Well, you know, your friend stopped by the house today. He heard you were coming to town and wanted to say hello." Mom simply said, leaving me to worry about his mysterious "friend" cause honestly, I have no friends.

I furrow my eyebrows. "Friend? What friend?" I ask, confused. I didn't leave anyone I knew behind here in Australia.

"That pink hair boy!" She exclaimed. "Well, when you knew him, he was still blonde. Hadn't done a thing to his hair. Now its been all the way through the rainbow!"

I still didn't understand who she was talking about. "Mom, stop describing him and give me a name." I pleaded.

"Oh! Yes! What was it... Gordon Clifford I think." She didn't seem to sure of herself.

"Mom... did you mean Michael Gordon Clifford?" I ask, worried. This cannot be happening.

"Oh yes! Honey, it was Michael. He's all grown up and he's looking for you! You'd make the most adorable couple!"

I shudder at the thought. "Mom no!" I yell. "Anyone but Michael!" I curse the universe. Whenever someone leaves me, I enjoy the fact that they are out of my life. Now, they always find their way back. Like how I ran into Steve, the man who was around for only 5 years of my life.

"You used to be the best of friends. You'd always play in the back yard, have sleep overs, and he'd even managed to get those bullies to stop! Give him a chance, Alice." Why my mother was on his side, I have no idea. But I didn't like it.

"Mom, I have to go. We're about to take off. Love you. Bye." I hang up the phone before she starts talking about Michael again.

During the time I was on the phone, I was getting to my seat on the plane, bound for Sydney. I took the window seat, and two boys sat in the other seats. One was blonde. The other had dark brown, possibly black, hair.

"Hi. I'm Luke." I turned towards the one sitting nearest to me. His eyes lit up at the sight of me. "You're the depressed girl from the café!" He exclaimed.

"Yeah. I guess I am. I'll probably be even more depressed now." I sigh. I need to vent. I can't call anybody, so why not them? It's not like I'll see them again.

"You can tell us why, if you need to. I'm Calum by the way." The other boy, sitting on the aisle seat, offers.

I smile at him. "Thanks. But I wouldn't want to bore you." I'm about to start reading my book, but Luke stops me.

"C'mon. We'd love to hear. You couldn't possibly bore us." He smiles genuinely at me.

"Sure. Why not?" And with that, I tell them the story of Michael Clifford, the boy who saved me.

* * * * * * * *

Hello readers! Read, comment, vote, and share! Love y'all! :*