Chapter 6

It had been a week since my first meeting with the Darkling in what I now knew to be the War Room. Fitting for the decor that one witnessed whenever entering the room.

Every single night I had gone to the Darkling's quarters, either in the War Room alone with him or in a small over heated hut out in the fields outside of the palace. So far, all I had learned was the alphabet and the history behind the Purge of Light, or the Hunt for the White Witch.

It scared me to think of everything that The Darkling had done. It made my flesh crawl at the fact that he could live for thousands of years with nothing but a now light scar on his face. His light manner towards me just seems threatening with the stuff he shoves in my head.

He's to be feared, not to be liked. Keep that in mind you dumb girl.

Who are you to talk your just a voice in my head, my conscious. Also, where'd the others go?

The necklace I'd been wearing for months went a little cold. It did that sometimes, but I still don't want to take it off. It's something new. Something I could sell for quite a lot if they ever kick me out for not belonging here. After all it had been weeks and no mention at all about how I can somehow have to same powers as the old traitorous sun summoner.

Only warnings. Only him and the few servants he allows me to meet. They never stay long. They only bring my meals, they don't even talk. Dressed in grey peasant outfits with their heads bowed into submission. Could they even talk?

There was a low knock on the door, from who I didn't know. Since my first day I had always been done studying and learning after dinner was served. Usually all my days were spent practically alone or with Him.

I walked over to the door and opened it. Expecting a servant, then was fairly surprised to see a smirking, dark-skinned, Abram. I hadn't seen him since he escorted me back from dinner the first day here. After a painfully quiet dinner with Him.

Do you feel as if saying the name will give The Darkling power?

I ignored the voice. Thoroughly puzzled at Abrams sudden appearance.

"Yes, Abram right? Is there something you need?" I asked quizzically.

"The Darkling has requested you," he look at me up and down in my night gown. I didn't understand, was this improper to wear after dark, it was a better quality than anything I wore growing up. "Maybe dressed in something a little more becoming."

"Okay." I paused. "Let me change. "

I then slammed the door on his face. Smiling at the oddly satisfying swears that came from the other side after wards. I was a lady after all, did he expect me to change in front of him?

A few moments later I opened the door and a slightly perturbed Abram met me this time. I shrunk a little now realizing that this very large man could probably kill me with a look. Much like everyone else in this building could.

"Stand up straight. Let's go. "

He sounded annoyed. There goes my chances to know someone other than Him. I straightened my back and followed him. He took me outside of the palace and I assumed we were headed to the hut. The small one, which seemed hot even in the cold of late winter. Though we kept walking instead of going down the path to the hut. I shivered in the cold, where were we going?

Abram suddenly stopped and I stumbled into his back, trying to not fall over suddenly.

Abram side-stepped and said, "The Darkling is waiting down there. I don't suggest you keep him waiting."

I saw a shadowy figure down at the edge of a small lake, more of a pond to be exact. I made my way toward it as Abram said to, I recognized the shape as I got closer. The Darkling stood a few yards away from the shore. He look comfortable in the dusk of the day. A slight breeze ruffled his midnight hair as he turned to look at me on the path toward him.

He had a warm smile on his face that brightened his Quartz eyes. He looked, almost happy to see me. It chilled me a little bit knowing this person who's killed so many people could look like that.

He gestured me to come stand by him and I did so. We stood in silence for a moment.

"Lovely night. Isn't it." His voice seemed alluring and threatening at once.

"Why are we out here?" I asked after another silent moment.

"Contrast is best shown when there is more of one than the other. Like a spot of green in a sea of red. The green is strongly contrasted with the red surrounding it." He turned towards me and I glanced at his eyes and then quickly averted my gaze to the rippling water in front of us.

"In the darkness of night, only the moon and you stand out." As the Darkling stated this my eyebrows furrowed.

"Why would I stand out?" I wondered out loud. "And don't tell me it's because I'm this, sun-witch like Alina Starkov."

The Darkling raised an eyebrow at that.

"You are aware that you've already shone me you are a Sun Summoner. Plus," the pitch of his voice turned monotone, almost bitter. "She used her power and stole what wasn't hers from the universe. Because of her weakness and lack of control, she failed."

A chill went down my spine, I noticed that I had absentmindedly started to mess with the black jewel.

"I know your stronger than her, Shii." He placed a hand on my arm and I felt electricity shoot through me. "Can you feel it?"

I felt something. Fear, at his touch, but also power, and something else. I grabbed it. Suddenly, and I grabbed it I felt heat pool in the hand that held the necklace, warm sunlight started to float into the air, weak but there, the light from the moon being the only source.

I may have squeaked at the sight and a moment after the Darkling took his hand off of my arm to smoother a chuckle at me the light disappeared.

I looked at him shaken, and stuttered:

"What am I?"

~~
This is unedited. I'll do that tomorrow.

Also is it "The Darkling" or "the Darkling"? There's probably quite a bit of inconsistency throughout this so far because I'm not sure.