Chapter Eleven

A couple minutes later, Arsen and I found ourselves back at the pile of rocks, arguing with the rest of our team members.

"We can't go to Chiron without forfeiting!" A boy from Aphrodite shouted. "I'm not losing this week! We promised lower would do dishes! I'm am not ruining my skin with all the heat from the lava."

I frowned at his words, understanding each one, but unsure how they fit together. I shrugged it off, believing I had misheard his use of the world lava.

"This is bigger than some game, James!" Arsen snapped, glaring at the boy, "This means the camp is vunerable! We will be overrun with monsters by the end of the week if we don't get to Chiron."

I dug my toes into the dirt, watching the two battle back and forth.  It was frustrating to watch, and I didn't know how the boy had any logical point, but more and more people seemed to agree with the idea of not losing this game.

"Fine." I finally snarled, cutting off all of the arguments. "I'll get the bloody flag for you."

Without another word, I stormed away before anyone had the chance to stop me. I stomped my way through the woods, heading in the direction of the creek. Arsen had told me the creek was the boundary line, so as soon as I passed that, I would be in enemy territory.

I could hear my teammates crashing in the woods behind me, eager to see what I would do. I was new, and therefore, unpredictable. Plus, no child of Demeter has ever been so aggressive as I have in the lifetime of these campers, which means they won't know how to defend themselves against my powers.

I knew I would win this battle, but the odds wouldn't be in my favor next time.

"Elodie!" Arsen shouted from behind me, "Don't be brash! It's just a game. We need to get to Chiron!"

I ignored him. While I knew that we needed to find the centaur as soon as possible, our teammates disagreed and they outnumbered us. If we were to forfeit the game, they would resent us.

I wasn't about to let that happen.

Finally I reached the creek and paused. Was I really about to do this?

It only took me a second to answer myself: yes, yes I was. And with that thought, I stepped past the creek and into enemy territory.

Nothing happened.

I don't know what I was expecting, but when nothing was thrown at me, I was a little disappointed.  I berated myself for hoping this would be harder, but I couldn't help it. I must admit, I had wanted to impress my teammates.

And Arsen...

I shook my head, clearing my mind. I dug my toes into the dirt and started walking forwards. My eyes flickered everywhere, every single one of my muscles on alert.

"Elodie!" Arsen hissed from the other side of the creek, "Get back here! You will fail against them!"

I opened my mouth to respond, but that's when the first attack happened. I barely even finches before I stomped my foot, wrapping my opponent up in vines.

I tilted my head, grinning wildly at my piece of work. I was brilliant. I didn't want to sound too proud, but I was kicking some major ass.

I looked back at Arsen over my shoulder. He was obviously angry, his arms crossed over his broad chest and his brow furrowed. He didn't seem as amused as I was feeling.

"I think I got this." I announced.

He grunted and turned away from me, refusing to meet my eyes. I frowned, but ignored him. I focused back in what was in front of me.

My eyes immediately landed in the flag.

I gasped, surprised I found it that easily. It was a straight shot from there to the creek. They must have it extremely defended if they left it out in the open like that, so easily snatched up.

I tread forward carefully, my eyes watching everything. I couldn't let my guard down for a second. Everytime I even thought I saw something move, I paused.

Finally, I reached the flag. I stood in front of it, proudly. I knew as soon as I touched it, there would be repercussions, but I also knew I wasn't going to pass up this chance.

I reached out slowly, wrapping my hand around the cool, metal pole. A sense of satisfaction came over me as I yanked it out of the ground.

Nothing happened at first, but then I turned around, and took a step back towards the creek. As soon as I did that, dozens of campers flew out at me.

I knew there was a glitter in my eyes, just as I knew I could overtake my attackers. I laughed, causing many of them to falter. They weren't sure how mentally stable I was, especially when I was laughing.

Just as suddenly as I started, I fell silent, glaring over the campers. I stomped down into the dirt, and suddenly vines burst out of the ground. They wrapped around the campers, or blocked them from coming any closer.

I started laughing again, pure glee coming over me. I started walking my way through the vines in the direction of the creek. I swung the flag at my side, practically skipping.

In all of my time, I had never felt so alive as I did in that moment.

I looked up and met Arsen's eyes. He was watching me as I walked, meeting no resistance. I kept my eyes on him.

"What do you think, now?" I called out to him, "Still think I don't have this?"

He rolled his eyes and I finally reached the creek. He held out his hand and I grabbed it in mine. He swung me over to his side of the creek and as I slammed the flag into our ground, my teammates started cheering.

I turned away from Arsen, ripping my hand out of his.

"Now." I said, my voice echoing through the woods.

Everyone quieted down to listen to me. I met everyone's eyes, raising an eyebrow.

"Where is the damn pony?"