07

Chapter 07
•••
{music for the chapter:// Home by Jack Savoretti}
•••

Slipping on my hideous sunglasses, I head down to the dock, wrapped in a sarong that covers my bikini. I usually don't like wearing bikinis, since I'm not the skinniest girl in the world, but my mother forced me to. So here I am, in an uncomfortable bathing suit, feeling utterly exposed. I drape my towel down on the hard wood and carefully lower myself. Opening my book, I begin reading, becoming engrossed very quickly.

I'm so focused I don't hear the car in front of the house, or my father yelling at me to come upstairs. I don't notice any of it, too busy in a world of my own. It isn't until my father yanks me up by my ear that I put down my book.

Whipping my hand around, I smack him square on the cheek, causing him to let go of me and hold his face. I smirk, and gather my book up, marking my page.

"You watch where that hand lands, missy," my father whispers angrily.

I simply shrug and pick up my towel, throwing it over my shoulder.

"Why do you need me?" I ask, bored.

"Neighbours are here. Your mother wants you to meet them."

I scowl. I don't want to meet some bratty kid who is probably four years younger than me and cries all the time. Reluctantly, I walk up, meeting my mother at the terrace door.

"Sydney, come meet the neighbours. I think you'll really like them," she chirps, and I sarcastically smile. She frowns, putting a hand on her hip.

"Sydney, behave. The least you could do is be nice to them."

"Fine," I groan, and follow her through the house, tying my coverup around myself.

The front door is wide open, and I can see my grandmother talking to someone, laughing at something they say. I step out of the door and she turns, a big smile on her face.

"Ah, here she is. Melissa, this is Sydney, my granddaughter. Sydney, this is Melissa Wyndenburg." The woman next to my grandmother nods and smiles, and I return the gesture.
She's stunning, with deep green eyes and wavy blonde hair that cascades down her back in a loose braid. For someone with a kid, she certainly looks amazing.

"Nice to finally meet you. Your grandmother's been telling me all about you," Melissa says, her voice smooth with a slight Southern accent.

"Nice to meet you too," I state, meeting her eyes.

"John, come out here," she suddenly shouts at the house next door, and a man with sandy brown hair and brown eyes pokes his head around the door. He grins and steps out of the house. Walking over to us, he nods at my grandmother, and waves at me and my parents.

"Hi, I'm John ," he speaks confidently, and I notice a faint Southern accent lingering in his speech too.

"Hi. I'm Sandra, and this is my husband Dean and my daughter Sydney," my mother replies, looking pleased.

"Nice to meet you all. Where are you from?"

My father clears his throat.

"Washington, originally, but my job forces us to move around a lot. How about you?"

"Tennessee. A bit far away from here, but it's all worth it."

"Sure is," my mother replies.

I silently excuse myself from the conversation and back away, glad the attention has been averted from me. I hate being in the centre of attention, especially with strangers. Picking at my nails, I glance around the area.

"I'll go get my son. He'd love to meet all of you," Melissa says, snapping me back into the conversation. So he's inside. I was wondering if these were the neighbours who had the kid. I just hope he's decent enough for me to talk to.

Melissa excuses herself and walks into her house, shouting muffled words inside. Smiling, she comes out again.

"He'll only be a minute. Unpacking," she assures us, and resumes the talk with my parents. I turn towards my grandmother's house, distracted by two doves on the roof cooing away.

"Snowflake?" I whip my head around to find Hunter staring at me with a surprised look on his face. I frown.

"Ah, you've arrived," John says with a cheeky smile, "This is our son, Hunter."

"Nice to meet you," Hunter says politely, his hand extending out to greet my parents.

"This is Sandra and Dean, and their daughter Sydney," Melissa mentions to him, and he smirks at me.

"Why don't we go down to the dock and chat there?" my mother suggests, and the Wydenburgs nod in response.

"Sydney, why don't you give Hunter a tour of the house?" my father says with an evil glint in his eyes.

I start to scowl, but recover when I see the family staring at me.

"S-sure," I stammer, weakly smiling at the end.

"Wonderful. We'll leave you to it." And with that, the parents and my grandmother leave, and I'm stuck with Hunter.

"What a surprise to see you here, Snowflake. I thought our brief introduction at the gas station was the last of it, but I guess not." Hunter winks, and I fight the urge not to shove him away and run upstairs alone. He senses I'm not comfortable, and quickly changes his laid back style.

"Sorry. Let's start over. I'm Hunter," he says quietly, sticking out his hand. I hesitate, then shake his hand.

"Sydney."

He nods solemnly.

"Sorry about earlier. I tend to handle new situations awkwardly," he apologised, running a hand through his dark hair.

"Don't worry, it's not you," I mumble, looking up into his blue eyes, "I don't deal with strangers easily."

Hunter gives me a small smile.

"Maybe we can change that. Wanna give me the grand tour?"

I nod. "Yeah, but bear in mind, I got here yesterday and this is the first time I've actually been in this house."

He lets out a breathy laugh and follows me into the cottage.