10

Chapter 10
•••
{music for the chapter:// Winter Bird by Aurora}
•••

Hopping in his parents truck, I quietly strap myself as Hunter starts the engine. I play with my hair, not bearing to look at him, to see the pity in his eyes. He must have some clue about this, though he doesn't say anything.

Pressing the gas, we speed down the dirt path, our silence intertwining between us. Frowning, he looks straight ahead, his hands positioned firmly on the steering wheel.

"Sorry," I mumble, staring out in front of us as we pass trees and more trees.

"What are you sorry for?" His voice sounds calm but forced, as if he's angry. "You don't need to be sorry for anything. I just don't understand why you won't tell me what happened."

"It's none of your goddamned business," I snap unintentionally.

"Of course it is. I'm taking you to the hospital. I have a right to know."

"We barely know each other; I met you yesterday! Why should I tell you? I didn't ask you to drive me," I hiss, the pain getting worse as Hunter aims for every bump. I know I'm being irrational, but I'd rather keep it a secret.

"Maybe this is a good time to get to know each other then," he states, the muscle in his jaw slackening. "Let's start with how you broke your wrist."

I grimace and bury my face in my hand. This is why I don't make friends. They always want more than I'm willing to give.

"Forget it. Take me back," I mumble.

"No," he says forcefully. "We're going to get that looked at. I'll find out the cause sooner or later."

The car goes back into an eerie silence, awkward and stiff. I keep glancing at Hunter, watching him as we enter the highway and follow the signs for the hospital. I sigh and lean against the seat, wondering if my parents cared where I was right now. I bet they haven't even noticed yet. They're too busy in their own little worlds. It's just bad luck that I have terrible parents. I try not to feel sorry for myself most of the time because there are people who have it worse than me, and I'm not one to complain. Besides, it's not like I had anyone to complain to, especially since last year.

"We're here," Hunter says gruffly, and I glance up at the white building.

Ducking out of the truck, I cradle my wrist as we walk through the mechanical doors and to A&E.

"Hi," Hunter says coldly, resting his arm on the counter. The woman holds up a finger, making us wait.

"Hello," the woman purrs, sweeping her eyes over Hunter. He pays no attention.

"My friend broke her wrist badly," he says.

"Mhm, and is this friend close to you?" she asks, biting her lip. Hunter drapes his arm over my shoulder casually and glares at the woman.

"Can you do your job and have her looked at?" he demands. I don't know why he's getting so angry. It's not like he has an obligation to take care of me.

The woman clears her throat and taps on her keyboard.

"Take a seat. The doctor will see her soon," she replies, trying not to look at Hunter. He grunts and leads me away, his arm still around me.

"Thanks," I whisper to him.

"Don't thank me. I haven't done anything."

He sits me on the last empty seat and stands next to me, taking out his phone. While he does that, I take the time to look around at all the other people. I see people with blood running down their foreheads and people holding their stomachs in pain. Now, my wrist doesn't seem as bad, and I quietly get up. Walking over the bags and legs of people, I make my way outside.

"Where are you going?"

I spin on my heel, meeting Hunter's gaze.

"It's not as bad as it seems. There are people in there who need the care more than I do," I say quietly.

"No. Come back inside."

I shake my head and continue walking away. Suddenly, two warm arms grab me by the waist and legs, and lift me up into a cradle. Hunter's sparkling blue eyes piece through mine.

"There's no way in hell in letting you go back. I drove you out here, you better make it worthwhile." Amusement glitters in his eyes, and I suppress a smile. Carrying me, he strolls back inside and sits down in the chair, holding me on his lap and wrapping his arms around my waist.

"Now there's no way you can escape," he whispers huskily in my ear, and shivers running up and down my back. I hit him lightly on his chest.

"Stop," I mumble. "I don't even know you."

"I know," he sighs. "But I like to get to know you."

Fidgeting in Hunter's lap, I can't help but wonder why he's doing all of this for me. It's not like I'm his girlfriend, let alone his friend. We know nothing about each other, yet he trusts me enough. I could be a serial killer and he wouldn't know anything about it.

"Broken wrist? Who has the broken wrist?" someone calls, and I abruptly stand up, walking over to the man in the white coat.

"Hi," I say quietly, and the man smiles down at me.

"Hello, I'm Doctor McCann. Shall we?"

I nod and follow him through a corridor into a white wash room. He motions for me to sit down.

"What seems to be the problem?"

Before I can speak, a deep voice pipes up.

"Her wrist is broken," Hunter says harshly. The doctor smiles knowingly. I didn't even know he had followed us in.

"And how did this happen?" the doctor says to me. I scrounge my brain for a liable answer, coming up with the worst lie.

"I hit a wall?"

"Are you sure?"

I slowly nod, and the doctor cocks his eyebrow, seeing through my lie. He doesn't pry any further, only asks to see the wrist.

"You've broken your bone and it's moved out of place. We're going to have to reset it and put it in a cast for a few weeks," Doctor McCann says, leaning back in his chair.

"Is there any way I could skip the whole cast thing?" I ask hurriedly. He shakes his head.

"I'm afraid not. The bone needs time to heal."

I groan and close my eyes. My mother and grandmother are going to ask so many questions, and my father is probably going to go crazy that I got it treated. I feel a warm presence next to me, and I hug Hunter, his arms enveloping me.

"When can she get it reset?" he asks the doctor, stroking my hair.

"Now. We need that fixed as soon as possible."

"Okay," Hunter says, his body warm and comforting.