Chapter 7

ANABELLE’S P.O.V.

It feels as though I’ve been hit in the head a few times. My head starts to throb, Lucas and I have been on the roof building him a house out of tree (my ability) hoping to get it finished before my dad decides to check on me. “That’s enough for now; I’m feeling a bit light headed.” I say trying to keep my balance but the world starts to spin around me. Lucas looks at his half built home before turning to me, “Wow, you don’t look good at all…” I begin to walk inside but slip. I don’t feel anything, I don’t see anything…. Am I dead?

LUCAS’S P.O.V.

Anabelle slips and starts to scrap down the roof of the building. I run to her, trying to get to her but I can’t. She’s not falling fast but fast enough for me not to be able to get her. Wouldn’t she be screaming by now? Wouldn’t she have saved herself already? She’s not even moving. She begins to fall faster as the roof gets steeper and I start to freak out. What did she say? Something about letting your emotions take over? I close my eyes and take a deep breath. I imagine and tree extending its branch to her. I open one eye and see it worked. The branch had stopped her from slipping. I slide down to her and step on the branch. I pick her up and throw her over my shoulder. I climb up the roof, and climb into her room through the window. I set her on her bed gently and pull the covers over her body. I check her pulse and sigh with relief, she’s breathing. I don’t know why I ever wanted to kill her. She’s so kind, so powerful. What was I thinking? I sit on her bed side and look around at her room. It’s nicely decorated with paintings, posters, and random stuff a normal teenager would have in their bedroom. I sit not sure what to do, I could go up and finish my room but I don’t want to leave her. I feel someone staring at me from behind and I slowly turn around. My mouth drops and my surroundings start to become static. Slender Man is staring me down. He takes a step closer and I lean back, his extra limbs grow and I close my eyes. So this is how I going to die? The static stops filling my ears and I slowly open my eyes. Slender Man isn’t facing me anymore, he’s looking past me. I turn and see Anabelle struggling for air. I jump to my feet. I stare at her as she gasps, strangling my arm. Red designs go up and down her arms, neck, and face, flashing. She begins screaming for someone. I can’t make out the name. She screams louder and finally I can make out the name, Masky. She was calling him. After she called for him I saw Slender Man run out the door. She began screaming for other people too. She screamed for someone named Mark and Nina and Elizabeth. The next surprised me, she screamed for me. I stroked her hand that was ripping into my skin and calmly said, “I’m here.” After Masky came and took her other hand she calmed down. The red designs disappeared and she opened her eyes. Her grip loosened but she never let go of my arm. She took a deep breath and sat up. She pulled me down next to her and hugged me. It was a hug so kind and warm, I never wanted it to end. I’ve never had a hug like that, they’ve always been fake and distant, nothing that meant anything. She let me go and I stood up. Slender Man stopped me from walking away to ask me something.

ANABELLE’S P.O.V.

I hugged Lucas tightly because he helped me. I don’t know what took over me, why I felt so much pain or why frightening images flashed into my head all at once but I know that Lucas helped me. I screamed for all the people I know who could help me but the last person I called came to me first. Once I let go I turned to Masky and gave him a hug too. I apologize and I feel tears stream down my face. They can never know what I saw. But I know what I have to do or it could mean the end to everything I know.