Chapter 16

We push through crowds of people, trying to get to the car as fast as possible. My dad is crazy and unstable; he has the capability of killing off the entire city within a day without an issue. Whatever has ticked him off this time must have really set him off. We run to the car and without thinking I throw myself into the front seat. I throw my cellphone at Masky, “Text Gena for me and tell her that we left.” He says nothing and I speedily back out of the parking lot. I speed down the highway until Masky yells, “Anabelle stop! There’s a road block!” He points at several police cars blocking the highway to the forest. I pull over and get out of my car with Masky following.

I walk up to the nearest police man, “Why is this blocked?”

The man looks at me. He was tall and had a five o’clock shadow and dark eyes, “It’s dangerous, there was a report of three dead bodies, all of them of the male gender and one with a hole in the heart the others just dead.”

“But I live over there! I need to get to my father!”

“I’m sorry miss but I can’t let you through.”

“Please, you don’t understand, I need to get to my father!”

“I told you I can’t let you through; it’s for your own safety.”

I walk over to my car and pull the keys from it. Masky must have seen my face because he grabs my wallet and our cell phones. I lock the car and put a diamond lock on all the wheels so that they can’t tow my car away. I walk over to the railing that separates the road from the forest. It’s at least a twenty foot drop but I’m willing to take it. Masky looks at me with hesitant eyes but I grab his hand and jump. I land on my feet and pull Masky under a tree so the police men don’t see us. I hear them run to the edge and yell at us but I can’t make out the words they say. I just keep Masky close to me until the cops leave. Once they leave I turn to Masky, who is still pressed against my back and whisper, “Can you keep up with me?” I feel him nod and I hold his hand as I run just to make sure I don’t lose him. I practically drag him because of my speed. We run through the forest and he tells me where to go in order to get to the house. After about two minutes I see the house and I let go of Masky’s hand. I swing open the door and stumble in the house. Jeff looks at me and crosses his arms with a stupid smile on his face, “Your dad is looking for you.”

“Where is he?”

“Currently killing random people in the sunlight looking for his daughter.”

“Shit.”

“Yeah, he’s heading to the mall which means he’s going to be passing through the city.”

“Shit.” I look around the room frantically, “Keep watching him from the tracking device on his phone and give me the updates.” Jeff nods and I run out the door. He could kill everyone on sight. I don’t know what I did but I have to stop him before he becomes more than a myth. I run out the door and zoom past Masky. I have to run to the closest spot that’s on the way to the city, the old park.