Chapter 42 - Trust

James felt sick enough to throw up. He clung to Olivia, leaning on her just as much as she leaned on him.

He couldn't shake the image of her, lying on the bed underneath that man -- the man who killed his father. James could feel Captain Araya's blood drying on his arms. He hoped to god the man was dead, or dying slowly.

Olivia trembled next to him, her arms twined tight around his neck. She had refused to put back on the red dress James found on the floor, so he'd wrapped her in the dirty bed sheets.

The first spillings of sunlight draped themselves over the hall, illuminating the bloodstains. Olivia buried her face in his neck, holding her breath. The scent of death lurked in the remains of the battlefield, impossible to miss.

James knew it was over; there were no more shouts or screams, and the clashing of swords had quieted into the squawking of seagulls.

"James?" Olivia said, her voice thin and shaking. "Can I just check on something, quick?"

He nodded, glancing at the door she stopped in front of. Hesitating for a moment, she placed her hand on the knob and twisted it open.

Inside was a tiny little room, filled only with a little bed tucked into the corner and a shoddily constructed nightstand. The ceiling drooped low enough that James had to bend down when he followed Olivia inside.

She looked around, her shoulders slouching like she'd been expecting something different. Olivia sat down on the bed, holding her face in her hands.

"Are you okay?" James asked, kneeling down in front of her. She didn't answer. Combing his fingers through her hair, he stood up and kissed her forehead. "Olivia?"

She sighed, taking her hands from her face. Her eyes had turned light blue, glazed with tears. Her nose bled, her lip was torn, and a bruise had begun to form under her right eye. She looked like hell. Beautiful, beautiful hell. "I want to go home," she muttered, squeezing his hand.

Feeling a little pang in his chest, he asked, "You mean back home to Texas? Or back to the Fina with me?"

Olivia shrugged, looking away. "I don't know, James. I can't do this again."

"You won't have to," he promised. "I will never let you get hurt again, Olivia. I swear. I'll protect you with my life. Just stay with me."

She stood up, contemplating this. Ran her fingers over the side of his face, then through his hair. "I . . ." She hesitated for a moment more. Then she said, "I trust you." Her face broke into a teary smile. "I trust you," she repeated.

"Good," he whispered, leaning closer. James wrapped his arms around her waist, twisting the fabric of Araya's bed sheets between his fingers. She let her lips brush over his, closing her eyes.

"I love you," she hummed.

A shout sounded above them. "Hey, Cap'n!" And then, a surprise: "Land ho!"