Numb

(Her point of view)

"Oh, you silly girl! You are trying to climb again, aren't you?" I scold her through my giggling voice. I shake my head as I stand, watching as she attempts to lift her little feet from up off of the ground by pulling on one of our bedroom drapes. I make my way over to her and retrieve her tiny hands from the cloth.

"You know better, darling. Drapes are not for climbing." She grunts loudly as she strains against my hold.

"Mommy! Climb!"

I purse my lips together, fighting with all of myself to keep from bursting out laughing. So stubborn....just like me....

"Pease, Mommy!" Her pouting tone nearly causes me to just give in and let her do what she wants. But I cannot allow for her to have her way ALL of the time, even if she IS a Princess. I kneel down in front of her before taking one of her hands in my own.

"I am sorry, Liv, but the answer is no. I do not want you getting hurt." She turns her flawless face to glare up at me in disappointment. My heart immediately constricts in a very familiar and excruciating manner. I have grown accustomed to feeling this pain over the course of these past eighteen months. Her right eyebrow turns up as her glower phases to one of sarcastic attitude. My throat instantly begins to burn as I take in every single inch of her precious, porcelain skin. Gods almighty. She looks just like Loki...... 

I feel my eyes already flooding with tears. Whilst still clinging to her hand, I turn my face away from her before reaching up to wipe my cheeks. I do not want her to see me cry. It will cause for her to worry. For she has already begun to show signs that she is able to sense others' feelings quite well; even at this young age. I do not want her fretting over why her Mother sheds so many tears. I want her to always be happy; to never have to suffer through so many awful experiences and detrimental losses. 

I feel her tiny arms grab a hold of me before she moves to sit in my lap. I can already sense immediately that her frustration has faded quite rapidly. Almost as if, despite my feeble attempts to hide my inner pain, she is all too aware of it. Thankfully, whilst she is able to sense feelings, she is far too young to truly understand what pain really is or where mine comes from. Still, I do not wish to teach her this lesson at such an innocent age. Then, another more depressing thought comes to mind. She might not even remember him. He died only a few short months after she was born. Her beloved Father would be a complete stranger to her. Yes, I have told her many stories of my King. I have even shown her pictures of him through the many skilled and immaculate paintings still hanging throughout the palace. I have told her about him gods knows how many times and how wonderful of a man, father, and husband he was. But I fear that even then, she is still too small to register who he would be were she to ever see him in person.

She nuzzles into my chest before letting out a long-winded sigh.

"Mommy...." I wrap my arms around her and pull her in tighter. "I lush you." I place my cheek on top of her full, raven locks but not before kissing her forehead.

"I love you, too, my darling." I only wish your Father were here to be able to say these same words to you; to hold you as I am now. To watch you run and play in the gardens and the sea. 

"My Lady?" I lift my head up and away from my precious daughter before quickly wiping my eyes. Then, I turn to find that Zena is standing just inside the chamber doors.

"You do not have to hover in the doorway, Zena. I have told you this a thousand times. Please, come in," I snicker as I motion for her to enter with my hand.