Chapter 10

"During the intermission, we asked all of you to write down your current bank balance and seal it up in an envelope. It's time to take those out. Everyone take them out!" Merritt told the audience and they all reached for their envelopes.

"Now everybody shout out your name, all at once. Go!"

In a matter of seconds, the once quiet room was filled with names of hopeful people, all screaming for a reason unknown to them. We had already pre-picked names, so Merritt called those out. Then he asked each one of them to read their bank balance out loud. That's when he told them that they were wrong.

"Now I want everyone to put their paper to their forehead and concentrate on their balance and go." Merritt acted like he was thinking then spoke.

"Unfortunately, you are all wrong." When the audience started whispering in confusion among themselves, Daniel went to whisper something in Merritt's ear.

"Oh right! I almost forgot! This evening would not be possible if it weren't for Arthur Tressler."

"Art did you fill out your envelope?" Arthur shook his head no.

"That's okay, we did it for you. How about you come on stage with us? Come on." Daniel said. As Art came to the stage, Henley brought out the giant check with Art's balance. "I'm guessing north of 140?" Danny questioned, which only made Arthur laugh.

"That's 140 million ladies and gentlemen."

"But Danny, how can Art's amount be right, but everyone else's be wrong?" If only the poor lad knew what he was getting himself into financially, when he decided to become out benefactor. He would most likely still have all his money.

"I believe it's because he too is wrong."

"Now everyone, take out the flashlight from under your seat and start heating up your papers." Sky I hope you got this all done properly, it all depends on you. I said a little prayer to whoever could hear it up above. Wether it's a god, an alien, or The Eye, please make everything go according to plan.

"Don't worry Art, we have one for you too." Jack came out carrying a stage light making the audience laugh. He started waving it behind the paper and the numbers started changing.

"Oh my god guys, look!" I said pointing to the check.

"That's weird, before it said 144,579,651$ but now it says 72,000$ less!" Daniel said surprised.

"Josephine can you please tell us your balance?"

"It's 70,562$!" She exclaimed happily at her new balance. Yes! It worked! Thank you Sky!

"Wow, Art's balance has gone down the exact same number that Josephina's went up! Is that really possible?" I pointed out.

"Hey guys, it's happening again!" Jack said gaining out attention. The amount went down another two hundred and eighty thousand!

"Dinna Roberts! What's your new balance?"

"Two hundred eighty thousand four hundred and seventy-seven dollars!" Dinna screamed. Jack and Henley put down their props and walked to where the rest of us stood. Time to somewhat reveal the trick.

"We have a confession to make." Henley stated.

"She's right, we lied about something."

"Yeah, none of you were chosen at random. All of you have one thing in common." Danny continued.

"Everyone in this room, was a victim of the hard times that hit one of America's most treasured cities."