The Journal of Madoka The Reaper - 2

Entry #2, Month - April Date - 1 Year - 1771 

                      Dear Journal,

          As you can most likely tell, I have not, and will not, write in this every day. The reason being as most days are just basic and strait forward work days and I do not feel the need to constantly write about the same trivial matters.

          I am writing today, however, as today was not a typical day. Today, as I had mentioned in my last entry, I decided to approach the personification of England, Arthur Kirkland. Well, truthfully, it was more of an accident on my behalf, as opposed to a planned event. I had finished my paper work early so, after receiving permission from my higher up, I decided to stroll through one of the large parks in London. It was only a few minutes into my walk that I came across Arthur. I could easily tell it was him from a distance. However, something seemed off about him. For starters, he was sitting on the ground, something, in all my observations, he had refused to do. Also, as I got closer, I could tell there was some sort of dying soul. It couldn't be Arthur, that I discerned almost instantaneously. And do not go thinking I am being sentimental about him, because I'm not, hes immortal and was not on any of the 'To Die' lists. As I drew closer to him I noticed the reason he was on the ground. A small Corgi's head was rested in his lap as he stroked the animal gingerly. I could see his lips moving, indicating he was talking to it. I recognized the dog from resent, and realized it was the soul that was dying. Though we do not screen and collect the souls and synamatic records of animals we Shinigami can still sense when they are nearing their end, if it is of natural origin like old age.

          Many of the others in the park gave the blond man and his old dog a fair amount of space out of respect. I, however, could not help but keep going closer. By the time he saw me I could see the tears rolling out of his emerald eyes and saw his shoulders shaking lightly. Oddly enough he didn't seem offended that I had come so close to him in his time of grieving, even though I was a complete stranger to him. It surprised me even more that he gave me a tired smile and croaked out a hello. He sounded very hoarse. I felt bad for him, despite my work it is not easy to ignore the empathy I have for those left behind after another's death. He beckoned me forward and I sat next to him in the grass. When he spoke, he did not raise his head, nor did he look at me. I will relate the conversation that followed to you.

          "I' noticed you watching me as of late...Funny how you turn up to speak with me now, of all times." Arthur murmured softly.

          "I can assure you, Mr. Kirkland, it was unintentional. I can leave you if you wish." He smiled sadly, continuing to focus on his dog.

          "No, i-its fine really." We had continued to sit in silence for a while longer before I felt the urge to ask him something.

          "Arthur?"

          "Yes?"

          "Are you aware of what I am?" I knew vary well of his abilities to view things others can not see, such as others plans of existence and other beings of supernatural origin like myself.

          He just shook his head. "Not exactly. I know you aren't human at least. I'm not sure if anyone else can see you as well though. Can they see you now?"

           "Yes, they can see me now. Normally they can't though. I am a Shinigami." realizing he may not be familiar with the term I tried to elaborate. "A Shinigami is-"

           "Yes, I'm aware. A god of death, grim reaper, care taker of souls. And many other different lore stories through history." He paused and a closed his eyes for a moment. "I take it you know what I am then?"

          "Yes, I am aware." Silence fell between us again. The sun was already starting to set an the entire time I could sense his dog slowly slipping away. Slowly I reached out my hand towards it. Arthur visibly stiffened. I rested one hand on his free one and the other onto the Corgi's head. "Sinigami can't collect animal souls Arthur. They slip away without the need of guidance from the likes of us. But I can help ease his passing, if you'll allow me." He nodded his head, several tears falling again. The animal whimpered as I removed my hand and sat back from Arthur. he lifted the animal into his arms and nestled his face into it's neck. I turned from him, allowing him to say his good bye in peace and in his own right. As I did, I heard his strangled words.

          "Its alright Maximus. You don't have to hold on any longer. I'll be fine. You've been such a good dog. Please, please just don't forget me where ever you go." Soon after I felt his soul slip away. Feeling I should leave this man in peace I had made to leave, but he caught me. "Wait." I turned back to him. "T-thank you."

           Bowing my head I offered him a soft smile, something I rarely do. "It was the least I could do, Arthur. I am deeply sorry for your lose."

           He took in a shuddering breath and looked at me with glassy eyes. "Y-yes, of course. May I ask your name?"

          "Madoka, Madoka Kato." This brought a small smile to his face as well. I must admit I do enjoy the times I see him smile genuinely.

          "Will I see you again, Madoka?"

          "Perhaps. But for now, I bid you fare well, England."

          He has peeked my interest even more now. I do intend to visit him again some time in the near future. That it all for now, though. I will continue to relate these meetings to yo through this journal as well as any other note-worthy events.

                                                                                                                                                                              Farewell for now,

                                                                                                                                                                                      Madoka Kato