CHAPTER 9 | shoe shopping

📎A/N. Hello my lovelies. Well it looks like winter has finally set in. :( For those of you in the northern hemisphere enjoying summer. Can you please send some warmth down my way. I am officially over the rain.

Thanks for all your feedback on the last chapter, I am constantly overwhelmed at all your wonderful support...

❤ ℳ

PS. Don't forget to vote.

❧ ⚛ ✺ ≋ ≋ ≋ ≋ ≋ ✺ ⚛ ❧

Keira felt drained. Both physically and mentally. This was not how she anticipated this week would unfold.

I should be in LA, grading papers and listening to students try and explain why they hadn't turned in their assignments – not on the other side of the continent reopening old wounds.

To be fair, she knew this day would come. As much as she denied it, the cards had been dealt a long time ago, and no amount of wishing would delay the inevitable. From her vantage point, Keira stole a glance at Ryker.

His set expression gave nothing away. The sheriff by day and vampire by night had remained silent the entire walk to the car and the subsequent short trip to the hotel. Her only consolation was that with his intense introspection, his normal frantic and unpredictable driving skills were within tolerable levels.

Once they pulled up to the curb, Ryker made no move to exit the car, nor turn the engine off. His fingers gripped the wheel with such force she could visibly see the strain on the steering column as it resisted his unyielding pressure.

"There's more to the story, isn't there." It came out more as a statement than a question.

A dull ache pulsed at her temple. The tell-tale sign a headache was readying itself to wreak havoc with her state of mind. Keira glanced down at her hands which were clenched together on her lap.

Not for the first time she wished Ryker wasn't good at what he did.

"Yes," she said with the smallest of nods.

Ryker sighed and loosened his grip on the steering wheel. "Can I still protect the witches without knowing what it is?" he asked.

She lifted her head and turned to face him. His ever-present sunglasses gave nothing away.

"I get the feeling you're a little too raw at the moment," he said, breaking the uncomfortable silence as they continued to regard each other. "Whatever you're holding back is personal... and I get that, but I have a city to protect, and I can't do it if I am kept in the dark."

"Knowing won't change anything," she said, hoping he wouldn't see through her uncertainty. While technically it wouldn't help him protect the others, it might change how he viewed her. Something she didn't want to face right now.

"I'm not trying to be difficult," she said. "It's just... it's not only my story to tell, and I've spent the better portion of my life trying to forget."

Ryker reached over, placed his hand over hers and gave it a light squeeze. "Give me some credit. I can see how much his has affected you."

His sudden tenderness and lack of judgement toppled her equilibrium. She had been prepared for his scrutiny and interrogation. He had made it quite clear his loyalty to those he protected would always come first.  She had not been prepared for his empathy. Keira gave him an ashen smile and hoped he understood how grateful she was for not pushing the subject.

As she pulled her hand away and unclipped her seatbelt, she glanced towards the hotel. Dayna and Marcus would have returned by now and undoubtedly would be waiting for her.