CHAPTER 17 | Martha Stewart

📎A/N. Hello my lovelies. As some of you may be aware, I have been a little ill lately. I am on the mend and hopefully back on track. I'd like to thank those of you who reached out and sent me some lovely well wishes. It really meant a lot.

Now, if you are looking for a good mystery with a very funny flatulent cat, you can't go past @LinaHanson 's In My Attic. Myrtle's aunt is dead - murdered - and she has inherited the 'Witch's Retreat', a B&B full of outrageous characters and hiding a mystery under its eaves (which may or may not be the fact she comes from witchy stock) Make sure you check out In My Attic as soon has you have finished this chapter... oh yeah... and voted... then you can go ;-)

If you remember when we last left Keira, she had met the CrossRoads coven and was left wondering how the door has been kept closed all this time. Much to her dismay, the coven no longer has the knowledge or the power it once had.

Take care and have a great weekend!!

❤ ℳ

❧ ⚛ ✺ ≋ ≋ ≋ ≋ ≋ ✺ ⚛ ❧

Keira cleared her mind and allowed her energy to reach out. The corners of her mouth flickered upwards when it took a little longer than the previous attempt to hit the edge. Maize had finally manged to cast the protection spell wide enough to make a difference.

They may have more ability than I gave them credit for.

"Try focusing your thoughts a little narrower and visualize the area it needs to cover," she said in a low voice as not to interrupt her student's concentration.

A sheen of perspiration erupted over Maize's forehead as she closed her eyes and scrunched her nose. This time, Keira could feel the additional surge of energy.

"Do you think you're ready to try it out again?" Keira asked.

Maize nodded then opened her eyes, the strain still evident on her face which was quickly turning a light shade of pink.

"Okay Ryker, you're up," Keira called out in a loud voice.

She couldn't help the grin when he heard his grumble from the other room. A moment later he stood just outside the door. With reluctance, he took a tentative step forward and scanned the immediate area with a grim expression. After taking the second step and meeting no resistance, his face relaxed, and he made a motion to enter the room. Without warning, he was physically repelled backwards as a curse escaped his lips.

Maize shot up from her chair, her eyes wide in shock. "Did you see that?" Her expression just as quickly turned to concern, and she rushed to Ryker. "I'm so sorry, are you okay?"

Ryker waived her off. "I'm fine, stop fussing." He glanced to Keira. "Were you helping out this time?"

Keira shook her head.

"It doesn't pack the same punch as the doc's," he said to Maize, "but it certainly does the trick.

Relief flooded through Keira. "The real test is to work out if it only stops who you've warded it against."

Ryker slapped Grant on the back and a devilish grin spread across his face. "Your turn to be a crash test dummy."

Maize's husband gulped, and his eyes darted to the doorway. "Are you sure?"

"There's only one way to find out," Keira said as she shrugged her shoulders.

Ryker pushed Grant towards the door, and Maize brought up a hand to cover her mouth as she watched her husband put one foot in front of the other. The closer he moved to the spot that had stopped Ryker, he faltered. Squaring his shoulders, he moved forward at a snail's pace.