2: Jack

The phone is still vibrating. It seems like the person really wants to talk. Finally, I answer and on the other side I can hear a boy's voice.

"Hi". All he said.

I don't know what to answer. What if this is a...? "Are you there?" He says, interrupting my thoughts. I still don't say anything. "Yes" I mumble when the silence only grows, partly hoping he hung up and partly not. "Are you the new girl around here?" Oh, fine. Someone already knows. Now everyone else is going to find out in a matter of seconds. "uhm, Yes". "Oh... I live next to you and I thought... maybe we can hang out? Like... now?"

What is this? Someone trying to prank me or, what? Suddenly I realize he's waiting for me to say something. "I... okay?". "Great!" He replies enthusiastically. Just...what?

Suddenly it occurs that if he could call me, he knows my number. And how did he get that?

Maya.

She's the only one in the family who knows about Denise. That I'm gay. But she doesn't like it (part of why I haven't told mum and dad too). She hates "people like me" as she says. When we're together, like on the plane yesterday, we never talk about it. It's the elephant in the room. Maya always try to match me with boys, even though she knows I'm taken. That makes Denise suspicious of course. Do I really love her? Of course, I do.

Maya must have given my number to this, should I say, "lovely" neighbour. I hope it's her final attempt to "make me" straight... (Or "at least bisexual"). One day she must see it.

I go down as the doorbell rings and grab my jacket on the way. A tall, but thin, boy is standing outside the door. He has wide green eyes and his hair is a dirty shade of light blonde. He's dressed more like he came from the 60s or 70s and he's wearing a pair of beige denim pants folded up above the ankle. Underneath he's wearing a pair of old, dark green converse, making his eye's appear even greener. He has a simple white t-shirt tightly tucked down in the slim waist of the pants. He carries a blue jeans jacket over his shoulder. He seems strangely nice.

"Jack" he says and smile. "Kristy" I says and try to be polite. Maya's going to hear about this, I think in the back of my head.

My "relationships" with boys mostly goes like this: I'm being nice, even though I know it isn't the way to go when I want him not to fall for me. After a while they attempt to kiss me or something and I say I'm gay. I have come out to a lot of unnecessary people, so to speak. When I tell them, they blame me and leave on the spot. Who said we couldn't still be friends? Apparently, all they want is someone to sleep with.

We go outside. It's really hot, about 86-95 Fahrenheit (30-35 Celsius). I'm wearing a thin dress and flip flops. "So, what are we up for?" Jack asks to break the ice. "I dunno" I answer, honestly. We walk down the street in silence. Suddenly, Jack opens a gate. "It's the elementary school. I thought we could sit on the swings or something". It isn't a question, but I'm glad we don't have to walk any further in the heat.

The swings are on the back and it is a shadowy place. "Oh, thank goodness it's shadowy here" I couldn't help but burst out. "Yes, I can't stand walking when it's this hot".

I gently sit down on the swing and let my feet fall relaxed to the ground. "So, what's your favourite sport?" I ask as a starter. It is the standard question with every boy. "I don't care 'bout sport. Music's more my thing" Jack answers casually, like he's been asked about this a lot. "Oh, really? Which instrument?" I try to sound interested and keep the conversation going. And I actually must say I'm surprised. He is different than the others. "Guitar and trumpet. I've played since I was about 5. Guitar of course. Started playing the trumpet at the age of 7. It's harder so one mustn't start later than, at last the age of 9". "Nice" my voice has this artificial polite tone.

"Listen -was it Kristy?" I nod a little. "You don't have to act super polite or something in front of me. Just be yourself. I want to be friends with the real you". He has seen through me? This has never happened before.

"so, what do you like?" Jack turns the conversation around. "Um... well, I do like music, but I don't know any instruments. And I also read a lot of books." "That's great. I like to read too. Like Harry Potter and stuff?". "Yup, read them all".
Jack grins. "Okay, I'm going to challenge you". I laugh "challenge me? The one and only true Harry Potter fan? I dare you". I grin too. "What's the name of Voldemort's snake?". "Nagini" I say, without blinking. Poor Jack, he looked like thought he had come up with a hard one. "Good, good" He says in approval. "Try again! That one was easy!". "Well, you're the one begging me", he warns. After he's been thinking for a moment, he smiles just like he got it. "Is Harry Potter a parcel tongue?". "No, he lost the ability when he finally killed Voldemort. Voldemort transferred parts of himself...."

And so, the conversation goes on. This is totally new to me. No guy I ever met would discuss the things I'm interested in. I feel like I could tell Jack everything.

And being afraid of loosing that, is why a voice in the back of my head keeps saying I should hold certain things back.

A/N

I hope you enjoy this book and be sure to check out my profile (and follow me, will probably follow back you know) for my upcoming stuff (promise it will be more in a while).

I really hope you like this :)

Always trying to do my best <3

Hugs from Me ;)