Isle of the Blessed

Khloris sat back on her hunches and ran a critical eye over her work. The beds of flowers that she had painstakingly planted were finally beginning to take root. With a little more care, and this patch would soon flourish.

Satisfied with the work she had accomplish, she gathered up her tools, and placing them in her basket, stood up. She took a moment to stretch out the kinks in her neck and back. Tilting her head back, she rubbed her lower back for a few minutes until the stiffness loosened up, letting out a sigh of relief when the knot that had formed while she worked suddenly relaxed.

Bending down, she was about to grab her basket when a hand suddenly shot past her and picked it up. Startled, she looked up to see the last person she ever expected to see on the Blessed Island.

"My lord Eros," she greeted softly.

With the sun directly behind the god of Love, it created a glow that surround him, little sparks of light reflecting off his pure white wings and blond hair. Feeling the power that radiated off him set her teeth on edge. She could feel the weight of his age and the presence of a predator in her very bones. It raised the hair on the back of her neck in warning, urging her to run. He was far more powerful and ancient then anyone thought, she suddenly realized, and it baffled her how she and the gods of Olympus had failed to see the predator that walked among them.

Grasping her hand and helping her to stand, Eros carefully - though firmly - guided her hand to rest in the crook of his arm, refusing to release her until he was assured that she would leave her hand where he had place it.

All of a sudden, the terrible weight of his age and power disappeared. Leaving her feeling slightly disoriented. Blinking rapidly, she found herself walking, escorted by Eros with no memory of when he had arrived, let alone how she came to be holding his arm as they meandered through the field she had been cultivating.

Realizing that she had missed what Eros was saying, her cheeks turned rosy with mortification. "Forgive me my lord, but I am afraid I haven't been playing attention. Would you be so kind and repeat what you have said?"

Chuckling kindly, "There is nothing to forgive, my dear. I fear you have been in the sun too long. You seemed to have developed a touch of sun illness from working in the gardens for most of the day. I said that we must get you to some shade and drink, as I fear that you may faint."

Stiffening in consternation, she snapped, "I am a nymph, my lord. We do not get sun illness, nor do we faint."

Laughter erupting from him, "Well, that puts me in my place, doesn't it? And here I thought I was being heroic, helping the poor maiden in distress."

Before she could give a retort, they were at one of the many stone benches that dotted the landscape of the island; a large olive tree sheltered this particular one, providing much needed shade, though she was loath to admit it. After they took a seat, Eros set her basket to the side and pulled out a flask. Handing it to her, she gratefully took several long sips from it, pleasantly surprised that it contained pomegranate juice. When she tried to hand it back to him, not wishing to drink it all – though she secretly wished to - he motioned for her to continue drinking. Grateful, she took several more long sips, the flask never emptying. Giving it a puzzled look, she glanced at Eros, her question clear on her face.

"Enchanted, it will always replenish itself," answered Eros.

"I'm surprised you drink pomegranate juice, I thought for sure it would be filled with wine."

Smiling, "We'll let this be our little secret."

For several moments, they sat in companionable silence, a cool breeze gently blowing, offering a welcome respite from the relentless heat of the day. "Why are you here my lord? It is rare to see one of the gods here on the island."

Arching a brow at how forward she was, he could not help but admire her straightforward approach. It was a refreshing change from his dealings with other immortals. "I came here specifically to see you."

"Me?"

"Yes, you."

Confused, for what could a god need help from a nymph such as herself, "But why me, my lord?"

"Call me Eros, Khloris. I have an important matter and I need your help. There is no one else I can trust with this problem."

Turning to fully face Eros, she was taken aback by the pain she glimpsed in his eyes before he quickly hid it. "What do you need me to do?"

"I need you to go to my brother's island of Antipaxos and see what is causing the death of several species of rare flowers."

Khloris could not stop from laughing. The very notion so ridiculous she felt sure he was jesting. "Funny, Eros. I never realized you had such a sense of humor."

When Eros did not join her in laughing, she realized he was deadly serious, and her laughter died away into an awkward silence. "You surely jest."

Shaking his head, "No, I wish I was jesting. However, you are the only one who I believe can solve this problem before it is too late."

"Eros, I am a nymph, not a goddess. My powers are nothing compared to the pantheon. Surely Demeter, or-"

"No," interrupted Eros, "none of the goddesses have the ability to solve this problem. We need you Khloris, no one else. Besides, no goddess is allowed to step foot on our islands without the express permission of the primordial goddesses and ourselves, and you know we rarely ever give that permission."

"While nymphs who swear allegiance to you and your brother are the sole exception to that rule, I believe. Which still doesn't answer why you need me specifically when there are so many more accomplished and wiser nymphs than myself; so tell me, what is so important about these flowers?"

Smiling at the intelligence of such an observation, Eros reached forward and took hold of both of her hands in his, the urgency of his quest clear in the tension of his body. "I will need you to make that oath to Anteros and myself before I can tell you anymore."

"But...if I swear allegiance to you I could be forced to leave the island. I would be bound by my oath to you forever. I want to help you, Eros, truly I do, but this is my home, this is all I know, I do not want to lose it and everyone I love. "

"I swear to you Khloris, if this were not a matter of grave importance I would not ask this of you. Though if it eases your mind, I can swear that you will be able to return and live here on the island for as long as you desire. I will never make you do anything you truly do not want to do. You will not lose your home, that I swear to you on the River Styx."

Letting go of the breath she had subconsciously been hold, she let out a sigh of relief, "Fine, as long as once this task is over I can return here, than I can give you my oath. I swear my allegiance to you Eros, and to your brother Anteros."

Bringing one of her hands to his lips, he flipped it over, pressing a soft kiss to her pulse. Her racing pulse called to him, however, while he felt a mild interest in her, she was not the one he truly wanted. Releasing her hands, he sat back. Taking a look around, he saw that the souls of the heroes who inhabited the island were off in the distance. Sending out a wave of his power, he ensured that no one – alive or shade – could hear this part of their conversation.

Turning back to Khloris, he locked eyes with her before answering her question, "The flowers are important because they are the origin of ambrosia and nector. Without them, the bees of our islands cannot make the food of the gods, and they will weaken. Should that happen, they will die at the hands of our enemies not long after that. So Khloris, will you help me now?"