Chapter Thirty-One

Chapter Thirty-One

Tears stung my eyes as I stared at the floor, studying every line, hoping that something might jump out from the cool stone and eat me alive. Yes, a gruesome, horrifying attack would at least end the sickening feeling growing in my body.

I turned and shuffled toward the door, hunched as I tried to comprehend what had just happened.

"Esa!" Audrina wrapped an arm around my waist. "Theo volunteered for this. It wasn't anyone's fault."

"I know."

"We're all here for you. We'll get through this together."

"Wait! Esa! Look at the monitors," Samuel's gaze was locked on to one of the screens. "Something is happening to Theo."

I stared in disbelief. Surely I hadn't heard him say that Theo was alive. How could that be? All of the computers had shown that he had died. I glanced mindlessly at one of the monitors and saw a thin line bouncing across the screen.

Samuel was right. Theo was definitely not dead.

We all watched, wide-eyed, as the screen continued to show weird readings. Then we started to see something change on the table. Slowly, parts of Theo's body became visible again. It was his torso first. Then his legs. Finally it was his upper body and head.

His remained motionless, but we could see him again.

It felt as if all of the air had been sucked out of the room as we waited nervously. Samuel moved closer and touched Theo's hand. An electric shock passed between the two of them, and a smile crept across Theo's face.

"Don't worry, I'll definitely make sure to pay you back for that one."

Audrina let out a loud cheer. "Oh my gosh! It worked. It worked!" Tears began to streak down her face.

Gave also looked a little shaken. "You really gave us a scare...again. I'm hoping you can stay alive for a least a couple of years before giving us another. I'm not sure how much more I can take."

Theo slowly sat up and raised his hand. "Is this right, Samuel? Can I really see my hand?"

I couldn't hold back any longer. "Yes, we can all see you again. You're back to your old self."

He looked over at me sheepishly. Our eyes locked for several seconds. I knew we both had a lot to talk about, but that conversation would have to wait for a later date.

Samuel had a proud look on his face. "I need you to walk around the room for a bit and tell me if there's anything different about your body."

Theo obliged, but after almost an hour of various physical activities, Samuel was confident that the concoction he had given Theo had been effective.

"Esa, do you want to try it?"

I didn't hesitate. "Yes!"

I eagerly crossed to the table and lay down. Samuel walked through the same steps he had done with Theo. Again, it took the drug several minutes to work, but slowly my hand came back into view.

Audrina was the last one to get the serum.

We were finally all back together, and back to feeling somewhat normal.

"Now that you all are feeling better, we do have to discuss what to do about Dr. James and her sidekick, General James." Gave looked around the room. "This has to end, and it has to end now."

I couldn't have agreed with him more. If we didn't destroy them, they would destroy us all. It was too much of a risk to let them live.