Writing

I laugh at the title of this segment knowing I haven't written for fun for what seems to have been a long time. Every once in a while, I'll look at my old creative pieces. Half the time I find myself cringing and the other half the time I'm laughing about how ridiculous it was. It's so funny to think how I thought some of the stories and poems I've written were good. I mean the poems I understand because I suck at poetry and I hate reading it for the must part but RHYMES YO. Poets, you can stop throwing the tomatoes now.

It's all part of the process as growing but I noticed a recurring theme in my writing. I can never write something happy. In the beginning, it'll be happy and dandy but something always happens in the middle of the story that just changes the atmosphere to dark and grimy. Sometimes, it doesn't even start out light and it's not like I'm intentionally making it dark, it just happens. 

For example, there'll be a flower in the middle of a field, dancing in the wind with its other dandelion friends. The area around them darkens and they wonder why the sun's warmth is no longer on them. Then, a child grabs one of the dandelions by its neck before violently tugging and ripping it from its home. The child runs over, nearly stomping on the rest as their friend becomes an offering to the mother. Why do I do this? Is it because I read too many dark books. I don't know, I've met people that read some messed up shit and they can right lighthearted things like it's nothing. Does anyone else have this problem?

Written: July 18, 2016