02

Lauren wakes up and smacks her lips. She hadn’t dreamed, which wasn’t surprising given how exhausted she’d been, and she has no idea how long she’s been asleep. It’s dark outside, but that means almost nothing.

There’s something pressing on her stomach. She looks down to find a lithe, black cat curled up on her body, staring back at her with eyes as green as Lauren’s own. She reaches up and rubs at his ears, knowing he’s been as worried as any of her friends. He meows at her softly, purring at her attentive affection.

“C’mon, Ami,” Lauren mutters, pulling herself to her feet. “Let’s go see how long I was out.”

Ami quickly scampers up her back and perches on her shoulders in the clingy way he’s prone to. He’s been her familiar ever since she found him as a kitten on the side of the road when she was eight. When Lauren brought him to her mother, she told Lauren that their matching eyes meant they were to be bound for life.

Lauren had been thrilled to find her familiar so early in life. Usually she’d have to wait almost ten more years until she was eighteen to find hers, but she’d been bonded quickly. He would live as long as she would, unlike common cats, and he would always be there for her.

Lauren pries the door open, revealing Normani and Ally making food in the kitchen. Neither of them are talking, but that’s always been something Lauren loves about them – they don’t feel like they have to talk to fill the silence.

“Good morning, I guess,” Lauren croaks, her voice still rough from her unknown time asleep.

Ally drops the spoon she’s using as she spins around. “Lauren!” she cries, sprinting across the tiny distance to throw her body against Lauren’s. Lauren grunts (she was right about the bruising) and Ami digs his claws into her shoulders to stay on. Lauren’s flooded with affection for Ally and she tightens her grip.

Even if it takes a full minute for Ally to finally release her.

Normani hugs her just tightly for a good while (not as long as Ally), and she leans back to stand with her girlfriend, the two of them looking like concerned parents as they study Lauren.

“Do you feel better?” Ally asks.

Lauren nods, because she does feel better, apart from her lingering bruises. She feels well rested (which is rare) and in a good mood (even rarer).

“When did you let Ami in?” Lauren asks, the cat leaning up against her head lazily.

“I didn’t,” Normani says, eyeing the cat fondly. “First time we went to check up on you he was already there. Refused to leave your side.”

“He is a stubborn one,” Lauren murmurs, moving into the kitchen to see the pizza they were making from scratch.

“Just like his mama,” Ally teases, laughing when Lauren scowls at her.

“How long was I out?”

“Well,” Ally begins, her brow furrowing thoughtfully and Lauren knows that’s not a good sign. “You passed out Wednesday afternoon… and tonight is Friday, so a little over two days.”

Lauren winces. “Sorry.”

“Not your fault,” Ally and Normani reply at the same time. They’ve said it to Lauren so often they don’t even bat an eyelash at their synchronized reply.

“And you did warn me you’d be out for a while,” Normani adds.

Lauren tries to cram down her guilt because she did warn them but she knows how fretful the two can be.