04

Lauren can’t stop the giggles that escape her while Camila grins, looking pleased with herself. Lauren turns back to Ami, who still hasn’t moved.

“You’re just sitting in the middle of the sidewalk,” she tells him. “You’re being an asshole.”

“Lauren,” Camila gasps, looking amused and concerned all at once.

“He is!” Lauren insists. “What do you want?”

Ami meows loudly, his eyes flickering between the two and Lauren knows he wants to tag along.

“You’re intolerable,” Lauren says. “The absolute worst.” She pulls her hair to one side and scoops him up, draping him across her shoulders. He leans against her head, purring loudly enough that she knows Camila can hear.

Camila, whose jaw has dropped open. Lauren realizes then how odd the whole exchange must have looked. She’s so used to talking to Ami like normal she’s forgotten how strange it is to people who aren’t used to it.

“Is this your cat?” Camila says finally, staring at the familiar with wide eyes.

Lauren doesn’t really like to say that Ami is hers. They’re partners first and foremost. “This is Ami,” she says instead. “Short for Amicum. It’s Latin for friend.”

“Ami,” Camila repeats, reaching up to scratch under his chin and smiling as he purrs. “He’s very handsome.”

“Don’t inflate his ego,” Lauren snorts. Ami bats at her nose for that and she swats back. “Knock it off, I’m steering us both, here.”

“And smart, too,” Camila compliments.

“I’m starting to think you like this cat more than me,” Lauren complains jokingly.

“Maybe I do,” Camila replies with a wicked grin.

“After all the time we’ve known each other,” Lauren sighs theatrically. “I can’t believe it.”

“I’m kidding,” Camila says, staring up at Lauren with warm eyes. “I wouldn’t choose anyone over you.”

The sincerity in her words sends warmth coiling in Lauren’s body and Ami seems every bit as pleased as her. As she drops Camila off at her dorm, she takes a minute to hope that Camila is something good in her life.

The next time Lauren sees Camila, she’s propped up in her tree with a book in her lap. The tree groans around her to signal that someone’s walking by (because it knows Lauren likes to people watch) and Lauren nearly drops her book when she sees Camila strolling down the path.

She looks down a few feet to where Ami is draped across a branch, silently asking if she should call out. Ami takes the decision out of her hands, scampering down the tree and winding between Camila’s legs.

“Hello, Ami,” Camila greets, reaching down to pet him. She straightens and glances around the park. “Where is your owner?”

Ami meows unhappily at that and Lauren decides to call out before the cat does something impulsive.

“Up here.”

Camila jumps and tilts her head back, her mouth falling open as she takes in just how high up Lauren is. Lauren climbs down quickly and turns to Camila.

“Hi,” Lauren says breathlessly, a grin creeping across her face. Ami quickly settles himself on her shoulder facing away from Camila, probably still miffed about the ‘owner’ comment.

“Hi,” Camila says, matching the smile in full. “What were you doing in a tree?”

“Reading,” Lauren lifts the novel she’s been clutching. “It’s peaceful in the park. I like it here.”