Chapter Two

It had now been a few hours since I'd been told about my future. My arranged future. No longer my free future, my organised, promised and planned future. Just making that clear to everyone.

When I was little, around 6 or 7, I used to imagine what my future would be like. Like most little girls at that age, they think their daddy is a King, mommy is the queen and they are the princess. So that's what I wanted to be. I'd be Princess Erin of Pack Marshall. I'd meet a charming prince and we'd get married and do all that fairy tale stuff. But most of all, I'd be happy.

When I was 13, I was old enough to understand that most fairy tales were just stories. You ever hear of Little Red Riding Hood? Yeah, that story was true. Some rouge wolf went crazy and decided to munch on some grandma. But that was many millennia ago.

Anyway, when I turned 13, that's when my love for books began. Normally girls at that age would develop a love for boys but I didn't. I wanted to be friends with them. They were always adventurous and playful like the guys in my books.

I then decided that I wanted to be a writer. I wanted to create my own stories, like I was making my own little universe. Fantasy was my favourite genre to write about. It was so much more exciting than real life. And that's what I loved.

However, three years later, at the age I was now, on my birthday, my plans for the future were now crushed. I was gonna live my life first before I got married. Y'know, go out partying with friends, go on holidays, then maybe start a writing career and then get an apartment, become independent, not relying on a man.

But no. My parent had to just sell me off to some stranger! I didn't know what he looked like, how old he was or what he was like! How could they do this? What if he-?

"Erin!" My mother's voice broke me out of thought. I peered down from the branch I was sitting on, to see that she was directly below me. Now, I either had two choices. Drop a rock on her head and hopefully she'll talk some sense into dad about this whole marriage thing or go down to she what she wants.

The fact that I didn't want to I've my mother a concussion, I chose option number two. I carefully climbed down until I was a branch above her. "If you come to talk about how 'it'll be a happy marriage' or 'it's for a good cause' then you can go back now" I scoff.

"Sweetheart, please listen" she tried.
"No mom! You listen" I snap. "You have sold, your one and only child, off to some...some...well it doesn't matter who! The point is, you sold me, like I didn't even matter! What kind of parent does that?!"
"Do you really think I'd don't care?!" She shouts, throwing me off guard a bit. She never shouts.

I couldn't answer. Only because I didn't know the answer. I held onto my Grandma's necklace around my neck. It reminded me of this morning before all this shit happened. It felt like it happened years ago but when it only happened an hour or so ago.

"I- we do love you Erin. Nothing will change that. Just please, please understand that we offered up every option before you. Your father never wanted this as much as me. He feels so bad about this right now. When I left he was nearly in tears. We're so sorry baby girl." She let a tear slip.

Guilt floods inside my stomach. I hated seeing my mother cry. It broke my heart. I knew she was truly sorry. Without saying a word, I jumped down from the tree and hugged her tightly. "I forgive you. It should be me apologising. I said some awful things to you and dad." I whispered, tears filling my eyes.

Mum pulled back, cupping my cheeks in a comforting way. "I understand. I would've done the same. Heck, anybody would" she joked. I dryly chuckled. "Let's go back. I need to apologise to dad"
"Come on then dear" she linked arms with me as we headed home.

>>

When we got there, I immediately went inside. Dad was sitting at the table, head in hands and a beer bottle at his side. Stress and sorrow filled his face. I sunk down on a chair next to him, taking his hands. He slowly looked at me with pain ridden eyes.

"I-I'm so sorry princess. I-If there was any-"
"Shh, mums already told me."
"She has? Good."
"I understand dad. If it means that much to the pack, then I'll do it." I smiled. He let a huge breath. "Thank you Erin."

"So what can you tell me about my future husband" I try to lighten up the mood but failed. "Well his name is Tate Novak. His family is a strong pack which will help protect our own and the humans. That's all I know" He explained. I nodded in understanding.

"When will I meet him?"
"They're coming tomorrow morning so be ready" my mother said.
"I'm going up to my room now to process all of this" I announced.
"Alright sweetie"
"Ok princess. We're so sorry"
I hugged them both and left the room.

When I got to my room, I crashed onto my bed. All the emotions that I'd been suppressing down, came flooding up in tears. I sobbed and sobbed into my pillow until there was no more tears left to sob.

This was not going to help. Crying will not change anything. I just needed to accept it. This was my life now. Everyone will be better off if I just accepted it and got on with it.

The only person that wouldn't be better off is me. Knowing my luck, Tate was some creepy old dude who's about 50. I already had him pictures in my mind.

He's old, grey hair, many wrinkles, hardly any teeth (the ones he did have would be yellow), he wouldn't be a nice old man. He'd be mean, horrible and evil.

Yup, my life was officially about to get worse!