Chapter One

Chapter One

"Malfoy, Charissa!" Professor McGonagall calls my name. I stand up, confident, and walk up to the Sorting Hat. I search for my brother over at the Slytherin table, and find him. I see a spot open next to him, the spot Mum made him promise to save me at the table.

Professor McGonagall barely places the Sorting Hat on my head before it makes a decision. "HUFFLEPUFF!" It shouts. I can hear whispers of shock all around the Great Hall. Everyone knows all Malfoys belong in Slytherin. I see Draco looks extremely disappointed, and a bit shocked. That same look of shock seems to be on everyone's face.

Shame on my own face, I stand up and walk over to the Hufflepuff table. Only the Professors and Hufflepuff clap.

After the feast begins, all I can do is pick at my food. What will happen when my father finds out? I'll be disowned for sure.

"You should really eat something you know." One of the older prefect students tells me.

"I'm not hungry." I reply.

"It's really good, though!" Another first year girl exclaims.

"I said I'm not hungry!" I say.

"Hey, if she doesn't want to talk let's not bother her." The prefect says to the girl. She nods and turns back to the other first years.

When the prefects lead us off, I slip away with the Slytherins. The older Slytherins are welcoming, knowing that Slytherin is the house where I truly belong. I walk with them all the way to the outside of their common room before finding Draco. He isn't so welcoming.

"What are you doing here?" He hisses.

"I came where I belonged." I reply.

"You can't just join another house!" Draco says.

"I'm not joining another house. I'm joining my house." I say back.

Unfortunately, Snape has come up behind us and sees me. "I don't believe this is where you belong, Ms. Malfoy." He says. "Come with me."

"But Professor, there had to be a mistake! Everyone knows Malfoys belong in Slytherin. I belong in Slytherin!" I protest.

"The Sorting Hat has placed you in Hufflepuff, if you have a complaint, take it up with Dumbledore." Snape sneers. "In the meantime, return to your house."

"Bye Draco." I huff and storm off back to the Great Hall, as I don't know my way around at all.

Luckily, the prefect wanders into the Great Hall shortly after me. "I just was looking for you." He says, not asking any questions. "C'mon, I'll take you to the common room."

"What's your name?" I ask, deciding that if I have to be a Hufflepuff, I should at least try and be friendly. After all, I do have to spend the next seven years in the same class as them!

"Cedric. Cedric Diggory." He smiles.

"So, where is the common room?" I ask another question, taking in the long halls of Hogwarts as we walk along. There are so many portraits, many of which look highly grumpy.

"It's by the kitchen." Cedric says. "See that picture? Tickle the pear and you can get to the kitchen."

I laugh, imagining all of Hufflepuff sneaking to get food.

"Our entrance is right here." Cedric points to several rows of stacked barrels I assume are full of liquid, probably firewhiskey or water. He points to the barrel in the middle of the second row. "Just tap out 'Helga Hufflepuff' and it'll open."