Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

It's Christmas morning, and I'm not expecting anything. There's been an odd feeling around Hufflepuff, a feeling of excitement and sneakiness. There's only a couple of us here still, everyone else went home a week ago. Just me, a prefect, and Trent.

I stretch and crawl out of bed, heading towards the common room. A small stack of present greets me, as well as hot chocolate courtesy of the prefect (whose name is Grace). "We were waiting for you before we opened anything." She says.

"You didn't have to!" I exclaim, slightly embarrassed. "Besides, there's probably nothing for me."

Trent and Grace both smile mysteriously. "Check again." Grace says. Confused, I take a look at the stack of presents and gasp. There's six for me of all different sizes. "Open them!" Grace hands me a medium sized box. I pull it open to reveal a Hufflepuff bag from Amber and smile.

The next box is smaller. It's from Lauren. She bought me a bracelet with various charms on it, including a miniature wand and an owl. Taylor bought me a little owl figurine. It flies out of my hand and lands on my shoulder as I laugh and open the next present, a Muggle comic book called X-Men from Isabel, as well as a book of new hairstyles.

I open a present from Cedric full of candies and items from Zonko's down in Hogsmeade. His comes with a note, which I unfold and begin to read. Merry Christmas! I hope Grace remembered the plan and saved the best for last. It's from all of Hufflepuff.

The look on the Grace and Trent's faces are sheer excitement as Trent hands me the last box, and their emotions reflect it. I pull off the wrappings, revealing yellow and black sweater. The front has an H stitched onto it, and the back has a C. The two quickly pull out matching sweaters, except with T and G on the backs. "Merry Christmas!" They exclaim. "We all had a feeling you wouldn't get anything from your parents, so we all pitched in and got matching sweaters for all of Hufflepuff!"

"I-I don't know what to say!" I exclaim, happy tears coming to my eyes. "Thank you so much!"

"It was nothing." Grace says modestly. "Wasn't even too expensive when everyone helped pay. Besides, everyone needs something on Christmas!"

I immediately pull on the soft warm sweater, and head off to the Owlery to send a Christmas card to my parents. Kindness is a Hufflepuff virtue, right?