Mermaidia

Everyday it's the same thing, the same routine. I guess that happens when you're the son of the King of the ocean right? "Pay attention Killian, you need to learn this." I scoff and rolled my eyes. "Yes Ms. Gupta." Ms. Gupta is our teacher and magic counselor. I have five brothers all older than me so that makes me the baby even though I'm 24. Most of them are married but we all need to be taught in the ways of the mermaid people and how our beloved sea works. It was honestly a drag; I didn't care much to be the ruler of the kingdom or the sea so I had no interest in learning anything. What interests me is to see how the world above is like. Every so often before the sun rises, I like to go up the surface and just spend time with the Dolphins and seagulls. I know it's strictly prohibited for us to go the surface because we can encounter a human but that doesn't stop me. "Ok boys, class is over. Make sure you go over your invisibility power because you will be tested on that tomorrow." We all nod and swim away from the classroom. I'm outside and I see Flora, my beautiful blue tang fish friend. "Hey Killian, how was class?" I stayed quiet and frowned. She laughs. "You want to go and explore?" My frown turns into a smile and I hug Flora. "You always know how to make me feel better." She smiles. "Well you are my best friend." I smile and we start to swim away. As we are swimming away, I hear someone calling out to me. "Killian where do you think we are going?" I close my eyes and Flora gasps. I turn around and it's my mother. She swims up to me. "Where do you think you're going; don't you have to practice your powers?" I roll my eyes. "Mom I got it down." She crosses her arms and lifts her eyebrow. I sigh. I held out my hand and I turn invisible. I see her smile. I wave my hand again and I'm visible again. "Ok good but Killian you can't go swimming away like that, you're not a little hatchling anymore you're a grown merman and you need to start acting like one." I gave her a fake smile and she scoffed. "I'll be fine mom, why don't you go and worry about my older brothers, I know Kenny hasn't perfected his power yet." She shakes her head. "Be careful son ok?" I nod and she swims away. "Phew that was a close one." I look at Flora and laugh. "So where shall we go explore?" Flora smiles. "I saw a sunken ship by the pink coral reefs, you want to go there?" I smile and then hugged her. "This shall be exciting."  She nodded. We swam away from the palace and after a couple of minutes swimming we made it to the sunken ship. I gasped. "Like it?" I look at Flora and nodded. We swam up to the ship and man did it look spooky. We swam inside and started to look around. "Killian come over here and look at this." I swim over to Flora and she's staring at something. "What is it?" She asks staring closely at the picture. "It's a painting of a beautiful human couple." I said as I looked at it and smiled. She swims away and I continued to gaze upon the painting. I couldn't help but look at all the details in the painting. Seeing their faces and how in love they looked made me smile. It honestly made me a little jealous seeing them so in love. I know I can't have that luxury because I'm destined to marry one of the princess from the eastern water kingdom when I turn 25. I didn't want to marry anyone right now, I just want to explore and have fun and if I am to marry I want it to be with someone I love. I would rather be alone for the rest of my life than to marry some mermaid princess. I continued to swim and I was just looking around the ship. I loved exploring these ships and wondered how life is above the sea. Time passed by and it was time to go back to the palace. We get there and the whole kingdom was quiet and calm. That was strange, stranger than usual. I part ways with Flora and I swim into the main conference hall and my father, mother and brothers were gathered around the table. I swim up to the table and I went up to Kyle the third oldest brother. "What's going on Kyle?" He gives me a weird look. "It seems that we are having issues with the kingdom of blue water." I sigh. "So what are you guys going to do?" "Buzz off Killian." I look around and I see that it was Kendrick my oldest brother the one who said that to me. "You have no business here." I scoff. "Now now Kendrick, Killian has a right to be here just like your other brothers." I look at my mom and smile. "He's a grown merman he doesn't need you to defend him all the time mom, it bugs me that you're always babying him just because he's the youngest." I scoff. "It's ok I'll just leave you all to it." "Son please." I smile at my mom and I swim away. I'm a grown merman and I hate that they treat me like I'm some stupid hatchling and then they get surprised when I act all distant around them. I swim to my underground cave and I just laid down and tried to forget about everything.