Festival

High School AU, Sorey and Mikleo meet at Marlind's annual celebration of its Great Tree.

.

Marlind was a quiet town, old-fashioned with its rural housing and not quite caught up with the times of the world around it. When the sun dipped well below the horizon, and the sky darkened, lanterns illuminated the well-worn paths of the streets. They flickered as moths fluttered around the flame, and the crickets chirped in the distance.

On this night, however, the sounds of the insects were drowned out by the low chatter of people. A procession of sorts choked up the wide roads, steadily proceeding to the center of the town. Where the paths were usually clear, makeshift booths had sprouted up, advertising and selling items ranging from trinkets to treats. Much of the crowd was clad in traditional robes of all colors and patterns, their long sleeves nearly touching the ground while the cloth was secured by a long sash around their waists. Most held phones in their hands, the light from the tiny screens bobbing in a river of artificial stars.

Only one head seemed to be travelling against the current of people. A boy's messy brown hair waved as the pair of feathers clipped to each ear danced in the wind. Unlike most others, he wore a simple outfit consisting of a comfortable caramel sweater and jeans. In his hands, he clutched plastic bags full of items purchased from the booths. He stood out against the traditional attire of those around him, but he didn't seem to care, intent on getting to his destination.

Maneuvering through the crowd with fluid ease, he managed to make it out of the streets, emerging near the south entrance to the town, where a large gate stood proudly behind a bridge arched over a bubbling stream.

He sighed, slowly walking over to the stream's banks with a hand on his chest. Getting through such a thick throng of people with a night as festive as this was exhausting. Looking up to where the moon shone in the night sky, he couldn't help but feel a twinge of sadness from somewhere deep inside him. The hand on his chest traveled upward, absentmindedly twirling the silver charm that hung from his neck. The touch of cold metal only reminded him of how alone he was, and brought forth feelings from memories that he couldn't recall.

It's been a long time, hasn't it.

A long time since the news of the accident. A long time since the plague. A long time since the mourning. A long time since the acceptance. A long time since he let go of a hand whose warmth had been lost from his memory to grasp onto others that shook him away with a vengeance as they grasped onto Death's in the end.

A long time since he was welcomed into a stranger's arms, since he moved away from this very town.

A year since he last came here and did this.

Getting on his knees, he set the bags down so that he could rummage through them, hands emerging with a blue lotus blossom cupped in them. Its rich hue contrasted with the tanned and calloused skin of his palms, petals unfurled and glistening in the moonlight, here where the lanterns from town didn't reach.

He lifted the flower to his chin, tilting his head down to whisper soft words. "For good luck," he said.

Ascension, enlightenment, rebirth.

Bending over carefully with the flower in his hands, he released the flower into the water, watching as it was gently carried away under the bridge and off into the distance.

He reached into the bags again, this time pulling out the flower of a white rose.

"I miss you."

It floated nicely on the water's surface.

Respect, hope.

Flower after flower, he let them free, murmuring phrases with each one.

"Are you happy where you are?"