Double Take

Ultrasound example

Double Take

"Please don't tell him anything Andrew." He rolls his eyes. "Or hurt him. I have an ultrasound today and he needs to be there so try not to murder him. Worrying is not good for the—me." His head turns to me, a frown upon his face. "Ultrasound? Why didn't you tell me?"

"You just found out this morning." His mouth forms a straight line. "Fine. But are you gonna miss school?" I nod. "I'll be back by lunch though. Ashton's driving me."

"Just be careful. And stop worrying. I won't do anything to your precious baby daddy." He smirks. I blush and smack him. "Stop calling him that! You and Kelsey. I swear you two are meant for each other." I growl. He chuckles then sighs contently. "I know."

I wait by Ashton's class after I'm dismissed from mine. I hear the muffled lady over the intercom in the room and wait about half a minute till Ashton walks out with his backpack slung over his shoulder. He looks up and seems surprised. "Hey, you ready?" He pulls out his keys by the lanyard. I nod.

We walk to the office first and sign him out. The nice lady receptionist smiles and wishes us luck. We walk out of school and Ashton takes my bag, putting them in the back seat. He opens the door for me and shuts it as I sit down. "You're starting to show." He points out when we're at a stop light. My eyebrows furrow and I look down at my stomach. I probably just gained a few pounds.

"Nah. It's too early. I probably gained more weight."

"You're actually losing weight. That's kinda why you're showing." I feel my eyebrows get closer to each other. "I can't be showing. I'm almost four months. I can't start showing till four or five. Besides I've been eating a lot."

"My kid's gonna have quite an appetite."

"Hopefully he has your metabolism." It's silent for a while before he giggles. "We don't even know it's gender and here we are saying its a boy."

"I wouldn't really care. As long as he or she gets here safe, sound and in good health." I sigh contently. "Me too."

He parks the closest he can, and waits for me as I climb out of his short car. Tall guys with small cars. Seriously. You guys should have pick up trucks and stuff. Not these small things. "Sorry about the car. My mom borrowed mine because she had a job interview. So this is her car."

"Oh." He smiles and opens the door to the clinic for me. Luckily for us there's not many people. Just two ladies. Ashton stays close to me, fidgeting as I fill out the sheet. I put the pen down and grab a paper from the lady. "Please take a seat. We'll call you up in a minute." I smile at her and turn around, bumping into Ashton. He's staring at the poster showing a baby inside a mother's womb. "Why is he upside down?" I snort and try not to laugh. "Because it's getting ready to get pushed out." His face contorts into one of horror. "Are you gonna gonna push him out?" I nod. His face becomes more horrific. "Are you crazy?!" He sits beside me with an incredulous look. "My stomach is already as bad as it is. If I get a c-section. I'll end up with a horrible gut for the rest of my life. And a scar on my stomach. I'd rather not." He grabs a magazine from the pile next to him and looks at the pictures, smiling at the ones with babies and clothes. "This is cute." I shake my head and am about to say something when my name is called. My doctor from the previous appointment stands by the door with a wide smile. I look over at Ashton as I stand. He looks like he's seen a ghost. "I'm guessing this is the actual father." She says. I laugh and nod, tugging Ashton. My doctor sticks her hand out to shake Ashton's. "Nice to meet you."

"Okay. So the baby is looking great. The fetus is evolving greatly and seems to be healthy. But..." my mouth drops. "Our concern is that you're showing and your not even towards the end of your second trimester yet. So we decided to do a different ultrasound, right now, if it's okay with you?" My eyes begin to water and I'm suddenly scared. "I-Is he okay?" Ashton speaks for me when he sees my worried look. "Yes! Everything's fine. There's no sign of trauma or birth defects. We just wanna make sure we're not seeing double." I sigh in relief but then tense up slightly, feeling a bit giddy. "Double?" Ashton looks at me. "You mean twins?" I deadpan. The doctor nods as they bring a different machine. They spread the blue gel across my abdomen again. She takes out a slightly bigger wand while the nurse behind uses a regular wand. The big wand goes towards the space between my stomach and my lower region. The little one just circles around as it normally wood. We all stare intently at the screen and then I see it. To small circle the size of cue balls. I normally would've began to cry but I begin to laugh softly. Im not having one. But two. Two little ones. "Yup. We were in fact seeing double. Congratulations, Meredith and Ashton. You are parents of two little ones. At this stage, since they still are growing, we can't determine the sex of the babies just yet but it seems as if you two might know what they both can be." I giggle nodding, my cheeks hurting from smiling so much but I can't help it. "Yeah. Ashton thinks they're boys."

"Anything is possible." She grins handing the wand to the nurse. She tells me a few things I should do to keep my weight balanced and health at a normal level. She tells Ashton to make sure I do not make any type of scene where I can be angry, frustrated, worried or anything along those lines. The same nurse comes back with two small pictures and hands one to each of us. "I'll see you both in four weeks. Take care of yourself, Meredith. There's two kids that you have to take care of now." I nod and walk out of the room, smiling like an idiot. Till I see Ashton with a pensive look. My smile falters a little and wait till we're in the car to ask him.

"Are you okay?" He turned on the car, leant back in his seat and stared at the picture. His eyes became glossy and he ran his finger over the small figures. He covered his mouth with one hand, nodding slowly. He blinks quickly. "I'm just— I can't believe that—"

I giggle, looking at my own copy of the picture. "I know. Me either." He smiles and wipes his eyes, putting on his seatbelt. On the drive back to school, we talked about them two. He bet that they'd be boys. I said boy and girl. Then we talked about where we'd be for the first few months of their lives. Would we stay at his house or mine? Should he rent an apartment just for me? Should he get a better job? It was a lot of things that he nor I had thought of. We stopped by a fast food restaurant and ordered chicken nuggets for both of us, since lunch will most likely be over by the time we arrive.

"For the time being, I guess we should stay at my house. Like you said, you're parents aren't usually home and it's just you and your siblings. I think your parents have enough kids in the house. But then again, who'd watch Lauren and Harry?"

Ashton shrugs. "Lauren always watches Harry anyways. And my mom gets home an hour after they arrive from school. But yeah, too many kids in the house."

My phone rings. "Hello?"

"Where are you? I thought you'd said you'd be back by lunch." Andrew snaps. I roll my eyes. "We're almost there. There was a change of plans and we took longer than expected."

"Why? Is everything okay?"

"I'll explain later." I giggle.

I'm so happy. Not one but two. Now I don't have to worry about Ashton not helping out enough. He can help me with one of them while I manage the other.

I sigh. I should feel conflicted. But I know I can do this. I'm strong. I can do this.

But you're not. You're not strong and you can't be the mother they deserve.

I gulp and put that little voice at the back of my head, pushing its harsh words away.

Oh shit. Stuff just got real. Check out this awesome story a friend of mine and I started! It's called "the markings". It's based off of something on tumblr. And if you like Harry styles, check out "just a little bit of your heart". I love it, personally.

 I love it, personally

Love you xx

Love you xx