09 | meet the family

0 9

meet the family

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Okay, wait."

"I know it's a lot to handle, but if you're going to live with us...look," Steve put a hand on Cara's shoulder, "we're already hiding you from Fury, which is hard as it is. But we can't hide you from us, from what we are."

"This is exactly why we should have let her back on the streets!" During the past hour, Nat had turned back into her normal, frustrating self, commenting on almost everything said.

"No, she'll get it," Bruce said softly.

"Yeah, just a second, though," Cara said, and waved him off. "Go sit down so I can just figure this out my way."

"Oh, hell." Nat uncrossed her arms and rolled her eyes for the umpteenth time.

"Nat," Cara saw Bruce place a hand at the small of her back, calming her down.

When all six of them were seated, Cara rubbed her hands together, and then practically burst with words that she'd been holding in.

"Okay, so you just expect me to believe all this? I understand the whole 'being superheroes' thing, but that's just about it. I mean, it totally makes sense for Grandpa Steve to be from the 40s, that explains all his old people mannerisms--"

"Old people mannerisms?" Steve repeated, and looked confused.

"No offense," she added, and then went on. "But, like, what? Frozen for seventh years in ice? God, that's weird. I guess Nat being a trained assassin is understandable, too, because that's most likely the reason she always looks like she wants to kill me. And that one, Clint? Yeah, that's pretty normal, too. But this is where I get messed up."

She took a deep breath.

"Tony is this genius that built himself a suit of armor made out of armor, and his dad is the one that made Steve all muscly and stuff. And then Bruce, the soft puppy that he is, is actually a raging green monster?"

"Thanks," he said softly in response, and grimaced.

"Sorry," Cara apologized hastily. "It's just a lot." She moved her gaze to Thor. "And you, you're from a whole different world--excuse me, realm--where you're future king. Asgard, you called it? Great." She spread her hands out, smiling. "Okay, I'm done."

Six adults looked back at her, most of them with their mouths hanging open.

"Well, I'd say she's doing well for the first hour of knowing," Tony commented, and stood up. "Who wants some drinks?"

"Tony, stay here," Steve said in a warning tone.

"Sure thing, Gramps," he replied, and flashed Cara a smile. She could tell that they would get along well.

Steve, flustered by the nickname, tried to cover it up by saying, "Let's go over it again, go over the things you missed."