16 | there should be a 'captain' in there somewhere

1 6 

there should be a 'captain' in there somewhere

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"What do you mean, you're 'not in the mood for a movie night?'" Cara asked, confused. She'd already pushed the thought of Fury out of her mind, satisfied with how the confrontation had gone.

Obviously, Steve was taking it harder than she was. "You just insulted Nick Fury several times after he told you to leave, and now you want to watch movies?" He puffed out his cheeks as he exhaled, running a hand down his face in exasperation. "I don't understand you, Cara. No matter what I do, I don't think I'm ever going to completely get you."

The teenager shrugged. "That's okay, it makes it more fun."

"Makes what more fun?" He asked, shoving his hands in his pockets. There was a look on his face that made Cara smile, knowing that she had this ninety-eight year old man wrapped around her finger. She'd begun to notice the way he'd become increasingly flustered while around her, and the new, quick glances he'd give her when he thought she wasn't looking. But the thing was, her eyes rarely missed anything, so when she found him gazing at her with a small smile on his lips, she'd fought to keep her blush under control.

She shrugged again in response. "Getting to know me, I guess." Grabbing his arm and dragging him to the couch, she called out, "J.A.R.V.I.S., put in a movie."

"Which movie do you request, may I ask?" The intelligent voice asked.

"Pirates of the Caribbean," she answered, winking playfully at Steve as she pulled him down to sit next to her on the couch. "The first one, please," she added.

"Wait, I've heard of these," he put in, knitting his eyebrows in concentration. "Where did I hear about it?"

"Doesn't matter," she patted his knee lightly and turned to the large television screen that was now playing the previews of the chosen film. "You're watching it anyway."

He grunted in agreement, and switched his attention from Cara to the screen. By that time, the movie had already started, and she was holding in a smile as she remembered all of the comical moments that were to come.

-

"'You are, without a doubt, the worst pirate I've ever heard of.'"

"'Ah, but you have heard of me,'" Cara grinned, having successfully quoted the whole scene.

Steve hadn't moved from his spot since they'd sat down, and looked like he was growing increasingly uncomfortable.

Cara rolled her eyes at the sight. She'd crossed her legs underneath her, and then claimed his lap as a resting place for her limbs, and then, just recently, she'd laid herself out along the couch, only allowing Steve his foot-and-a-half of space. She had to admit, she was a bit of a squirrel when it came to watching movies. She always seemed to be moving.

"Gramps, you look like you're cramping up," she commented with a smirk. "Come on, I'll move over so you can have some room."

He shook his head politely, a small smile on his face. "I'm fine," he said, but when Cara retreated to her side of the couch, he moved immediately, stretching out his legs.

"See? You can't watch a movie while you're  uncomfortable," she grinned. As she glanced at the screen, her eyes widened in delight. "Ooh! I know this part, too!" She fell back into the horrible rendition of an English accent. "Gentlemen, m'lady; you will always remember this as the day you almost caught Captain Jack Sparrow!"

She sighed as she watched the action scene unfold, but paused when she saw Steve raising an eyebrow at her. "What?"

"How do you know all of these lines?" He asked, genuinely curious.

"Let's just say that I've had a lot of free time in my life," she replied, and settled back into the cushions of the furniture. "And this," she gestured to the TV, "is the result of it."

A chuckle escaped Steve's lips, making Cara smile. He turned to face her, changing his position so he was sitting next to her.

The teen pretended not to notice, though it was extremely hard, feeling his breath floating over the left side of her face. "Oh, I love this part!" She tried to say it enthusiastically, but the sentence lost its excitement, and came out weakly as she felt his eyes on her. So she decided to confront him about it. Turning, her breath hitched as she took note of just how close Steve was to her face. But she tried to take it in stride, and smirked. "Take a picture, Rogers, it'll last longer."

He shook his head. "I'm good right here," he answered, unmoving. His eyes held hers, and then flickered down to her lips for a split second before moving back up.

Cara's hawk-like eyes caught the movement, and fought to contain the coming blush. Was it possible that Steve was trying to make a move on her? No, it can't be, she thought to herself. I'm not even legal yet.

But apparently that thought hadn't crossed his mind, as he leaned in, slow as molasses, as if he wanted to take his time. Cara had stopped breathing, her eyes locked on his, though they'd shuttered closed a moment ago. She couldn't take it, she had to do something.

So she let her forehead hit his, and bounced back, watching Steve do the same.

"Ow," he groaned, and quickly added, "sorry, I didn't mean to--"

"It's fine, it's just..." She trailed off, and then found her voice again. "What about Peggy?"

She knew that Peggy had to be dead, as she had been Steve's girlfriend in the 1940s, but she hadn't known what to say, and that was the first thing that came out of her mouth.

"I, um...Peggy's...out of the picture," he stumbled over his words, still holding his hand to his forehead.

"Oh, well, I mean," she scrambled to find anything else that would prove the moment to be inappropriate. "I haven't really...kissed anyone older than me, and I'm only seventeen, so that doesn't count as even legal, so I guess--"

But now Steve had a grin on his face. "Cara," he said, "I'm ninety-eight years old. I don't think the age gap really counts in this situation."

She ducked her head, the movie forgotten. "I've never kissed a ninety-eight-year-old," she mumbled.

"Good." He used his hands to lift her chin up, forcing her to meet his eyes. "Because that would be weird."

Cara let herself giggle. "Yeah, it would." She moved closer to him, though, holding his eyes. "But not with you."

The last thing she saw before her eyes fluttered closed was his smile, wide enough that it probably hurt his cheeks. She waited for the moment that his lips would touch hers, and when they did, a fire ignited in her that she hadn't known was there before. A desire to stay in that spot, that moment, and kiss him 'til the day was over.

When he pulled back, he puffed out a breath, his lips pink from Cara's pressed against them.

She smiled, and then tapped his nose affectionately. "Steve Rogers," she smirked, "was that your first kiss since 1945?"

He rolled his eyes. "Okay, first, no, it was not, and second, there should be a 'captain' in there somewhere." He grinned triumphantly at the reference he'd just made.

Cara stared at him, wide-eyed. "Oh my god, we're going to get along so well."

"Well, I'd hope so, I just kissed you," he grinned.