starsloot's interview!

ADMIN @STARSLOOT'S INTERVIEW

1. can you tell us about yourself?

my name is kensington aria baker, but you can literally call me whatever you want. my name is so long that almost every nickname works (kens, kensi, kammy, kab). i am a graphic maker here on wattpad that focuses on simple designs that would (hopefully) please the fellow customers. i have vv dry humor and once believed that sarcasm could have been heard through text messages until many many years later. i am also a fairy tail fanfic writer here on wattpad (in case you didn't know)!

2. what are recommended applications for creating graphics?

i, like many others out there, use adobe photoshop cs6 for almost everything. however, if you're not looking forward to spending money on applications, try out different apps on your other devices. before i started using my laptop, i used my ipod to edit pictures. the apps i used to create graphics were background eraser, line camera, and pixlr. these are all terrific apps, so give them a chance!

3. what colors work well together when making covers? 

some graphic makers out there have nice pictures w pleasing color schemes for the images but suddenly have black fonts as titles. yes, the title does gain emphasis, but the whole purpose of a cover is to draw people in. if someone was to have written an amazing story w a crappy cover, it would be a waste of talent!
there are three ways colors can blend appropriately w one another:
option 1: use only one color. this may seem shocking to you, but this is fairly true! using different shades of a single color can appeal to the readers' eyes. i usually use this technique for my covers.
option 2: try to differentiate warm tones from cool tones. let's say that you used the shades red and orange as the background of your cover. do NOT add a title with blue text. it does not match the warm color scheme at all. instead, use mahogany,  or maybe even brown. try labeling the colors red, orange, and yellow as warm colors and green, blue, and purple as cool colors. this will definitely help you when making covers.
option 3: use complementary colors. now you might be asking, "what the heck are complementary colors, kens?" this rule goes completely against the other two rules. if you're a risk taker, this rule is the one for you! according to the rule of complementary colors, red goes well w green, orange goes well w blue, and yellow goes well w purple. this is a difficult rule to follow because this technique is difficult to pull off. however, if you manage to pull this off, i can bet that everyone would go to you and ask for covers!

4. what is the best way to earn attention for what you do?

first of all, be good at what you do. but you can't expect perfect results the first time you do something. keep on practicing, and the results will eventually show. people will be bound to view your work.
secondly, set reasonable goals; stop dreaming about becoming big and be torn by the unexpected results later.
third, try start talking to someone on wattpad that inspires you. if they don't respond, don't be bummed out about it and move on.
lastly, have confidence. respect yourself. don't become cocky or anything and show off and become the biggest bitch on wattpad, but don't you dare let anyone bring you down. if someone doesn't give you respect, demand for it. if you stand on righteous ground, people will be bound to take your side.

5. what type of graphics do you make, and which type is your favourite?

in case you don't know me, i am a girl that creates covers and icons for other people. most of the ones i make are simple and light, taking the side of "pastel" rather than "vibrant." i am a minimalist that prefers covers w a lot of space rather than crowded covers. i enjoy making covers that others enjoy, so i am always open to requests for remakes.

6. how do you find good images when making covers?

make sure that the image you choose from the internet also matches the color scheme you have planned for this project. if you have no idea what "color scheme" means, i suggest that you go back to question 2 and read the long-ass paragraph that talks all about it. try to find a picture with nice quality as well. the quality of the image is part of what makes a cover stand out.

7. how do you keep readers interested in your stories?

a good plot doesn't just suddenly pop into your head. you have to plan everything out first. before writing and publishing the story, brainstorm the sequence of all the events in the story first. jot down all of the subtle plot twists you believe the readers will enjoy. also, it is not you that decides whether a story is interesting or not; the reader decides that. try adding cliffhangers after plot twists at the end of chapters. that will definitely leave your fans coming back for more.

8. how do i know my story plot is cliche?

you know that your story is cliche when the protagonist is always winning. in real life, the good guy doesn't always win. try making the antagonist win for once.
if there's anything about "love at first sight," it is a sign that your story is cliche.
however, even if your story is cliche, don't worry too much. many readers actually enjoy reading cliche stories.

9. who in the writing world (on wattpad) inspires you the most?

i have to say that it is @Infinite_Midnight . she is another fairy tail fanfic writer here on wattpad. i am currently the editor of her stories, but she was the one that inspired me to start writing fanfics as well.

10. are you looking for any jobs in the future that might have to do w what you do here?

unfotunately, i have to say that i am not. i am currently aiming to become a part of the medical field! surprise surprise-- i'd bet that you never expected you sloot bear to be interested in something like this ahA.

well, that's it! feel free to leave q's in the comments below; i don't bite. (unless you're really hot, i mean)