[02] MIDNIGHT

The Perspective of J. Daniel Atlas

I stomped as I walked up the stairs and approached Angel's apartment. Once there, I knocked on the door once. No answer. I knocked twice, no answer. Finding that I was already aggravated, I knocked on the door nonstop until she opened it.

"Jesus, what is it?" she covered her eyes and groaned. Her hair seemed messed up a little, as if someone had been running their fingers through it. I narrowed my eyes.

"Is Lula here?" she took her hand away from her face and looked at me.

"...Oh, Danny... No, she's not here. Wh--"

"You and I need to talk. Now." I walked past her and into the apartment. I could see papers everywhere on her desk, the apartment was quite dark. But in her defense, it was late at night. But I knew she hadn't been sleeping.

Her computer was on and I could see several lines of random numbers and letters and commands across the screen. Well, the numbers were random to me anyway. To her they made sense. She had been coding.

I watched her as she groaned again and closed the door. She seemed to be a little bit taller than the last time I saw her, but I didn't mind. Angel was just right in the range of how tall she was. She wasn't quite above me but not quite below me either... this made it easier for me to kiss her.

"Okay, what do you want?" I quickly walked towards her again and cupped her cheeks in my hand.

"Okay listen, I'm going to be honest with you. I know you banged Lula and I don't care..." she raised both of her eyebrows. "I want you back..." I leaned in to kiss her yet she pulled away and stumbled backwards.

"Whoa whoa whoa, you can't just do that." I raised a eyebrow.

"Do what?" I chuckled and shook my head as I walked towards her. "Angel it was a simple mistake that I forgive you for. There's a reason why you and I have been talking again and that reason is that I. Want. You. Back. Now come over here and let me--" I stopped talking as she looked at me in disgust. She then laughed and looked at the ground, shaking her head. She folded her arms.

"...J Daniel Atlas?"

"Yes Angel Blue?" I smiled and got close to her again.

"...You're the biggest idiot I've ever met. Get out." I scoffed as she walked behind me and began to push me out. I turned to her again and stopped.

"What the hell are you talking about?! You sleeping with Lula is a mistake I'm sure you regret. I-I thought we could get back together."

"Danny, it wasn't a mistake." my facial expression completely changed. In a matter of moments I had gone from disappointed to shocked. "And I'm sorry, but I don't care if you want me back. I don't want you back. Leave."

"...W-what?"

"I said, leave."

"N-no, before you told me to leave..."

"Oh, right. I don't want you back."

"Why?"

"Because. You're a narcissistic asshole and you always made me feel as if I wasn't good enough." she shrugged. "I deserve better. As a matter of fact, I deserve Lula. Now please for the love of God, leave!" she began to walk towards me, forcing me to back away.

"Lula can't love you like I can.."

"Why of course, she loves me WAY better than you did. Leave."

"I could love you better..."

"Well you won't. It's not in your character..." as she finally got me outside the door, I made one last pleading remark.

"...We could mess around instead." Angel rolled her eyes and went to slam the door. Yet, I put my foot back in the doorframe. "This isn't over, you know." in that moment, Angel looked at me in away I had never seen her look at me before. She looked at me as if she was tired and as if she had been beaten the bone. But I knew she wasn't tired, it was only midnight. Angel was accustomed to get tired around four am... She shook her head.

"Goodbye Daniel." she tried to move my foot yet I stepped back in.

"W-wait. Please... are you and Lula together?" she allowed me to walk back in and bit her lip.

"...N-no. We've been talking for a while now but we're not technically together."

"Good so I can still do this." I quickly put my hands on her cheeks and looked down at her. "I'm sorry." she shook her head.

"I can't forgive yo--" I gave her a small kiss on the lips despite what she was trying to say. I kissed her again for a few moments. When she pulled away I pecked her lips again.

"Angel..." I gasped a little as she took several steps back. I had shown her a vulnerable side of me, yet it still hadn't worked.

"Get. Out."