Preview 1

Author's Note

Date Posted: 21 July 2016

Image Source: Jolty and Espeon by ElfSama at DeviantArt

Preview Description: This scene is right now the first chapter of Umbra's story, which is the part of the story set at an earlier time than the main story. I wrote this last October, but have been editing it periodically since then. Of course, this is only part of the chapter. The whole chapter is roughly 3,000 words. This is only to give you a taste of my writing style before the full story comes out. Mind you that since this is only a preview, the wording of the chapter could be changed, possibly even drastically, when the whole story is complete.

Preview Rating: K+ (mild frightening moments, mild suggestive themes)

* * *

     Dozens of paws thundered through the forest. An acrid stench filled the air as orange flames wound themselves up each surrounding tree, illuminating the night.
A Jolteon flanked the fleeing crowd, rain pelting his fur. His mate, an Espeon with a belly swollen from the offspring she was expecting, pressed against his side. The Jolteon gave her ear a few comforting licks.

     It had all happened so fast. A thunderstorm rolled in during the evening, and as everyone sheltered from the rain, there was a loud crash and a streak of lightning seared a tree near the clearing. Within seconds, it was engulfed in a hungry fire unfazed by the rain, and extended to the nearby trees. The leader ordered the Clan to evacuate.

     "I know it's hard, but we'll reach safety soon," the Jolteon whispered into his mate's ear. His eyes streamed from the prolonged contact with the smoke.

     "It's Hazel that we should be worried about," the Espeon responded. "Did you see her escape?"

      Embers rained down from above. The fire had reached the tree canopies, and leaves were drifting to the ground in small, burning clumps. "Look out!" the Jolteon yelled. He leaped in front of the Espeon, shielding her from the fallout. He yelped as a piece landed on his flank, singeing his skin. Peering through the thickening smoke, there was no sign of the rest of the Clan. They had all escaped ahead of the pair.

     "Are you okay, Thorn?" the Espeon asked, parting the fur on his flank to inspect the injury. Thorn clenched his teeth. Normally his mate's paws were soft to the touch, but as they passed over his burn, they felt raw and hard against his skin.

      "I'll be okay, Autumn," Thorn reassured. He stepped aside and ushered her forward with a gentle nudge of his paw. The Espeon stepped around the burning embers on the ground. Thorn watched her for a moment, then spun around to observe the advancing flames. A sudden creaking noise penetrated the crackling of the fire. Thorn's head snapped up in time to see a large branch above him, drooping, burning tendrils coiled around it. On instinct, Thorn leaped backwards as the branch let loose from its hold on the tree and crashed to the ground before him, sending up a cloud of dust and embers. Thorn held his position, his breath hitched, as he stared at the near cause of his death, razing within reach of him. Even in the few seconds that he faced it, the exposure to the intense heat began to chap the skin on his face. He opened his mouth to pant, but when he inhaled the smoky air, he let out a series of dry, raspy coughs.

     As he turned around, the Jolteon's eyes had to readjust to the darkness ahead of him. He soon spotted Autumn a few rows of trees away. Her gait was slow and awkward, and even seemed a little forced. Then with a gasp audible even at this distance, she collapsed against a tree beside her.

      Without a moment to think, Thorn found his paws carrying him to his mate. He halted beside Autumn. She had slipped down to the roots of the tree and her jaws were parted. Her flank rose and fell as she breathed hard. "Thorn!" she exclaimed between two breaths. "They're... They're coming!" Those were the only two words she was able to utter before her head lurched down and she let out a pained cry.

     Autumn did not have to clarify for Thorn to understand. He glanced sideways at the fire. It had consumed the forest. Every tree was silhouetted against a bright orange background. Dark smoke billowed into the sky and mingled with the storm clouds above. Thorn's chest tightened. "Why here? Why now?" His voice shook as he spoke.