sixteen

You stumbled backwards as Jeff pushed his way in. Carl shoved Lex forward; he fell on his hands and knees. You kept your eyes on him at all times. He looked so weak. Wanting only to make sure he was all right, you reached out to him.

Jeff threw his arms around your torso. "Don't think so, babe!"

Lex looked up as you were pulled away. He glared at Jeff. "Get off of her," he said through clenched teeth. He scrambled to his feet.

"Stop right there," Jeff said. You felt the cold barrel of the gun against your head. "Don't move. I don't want to do this to my girlfriend."

"I'm not your girlfriend," you hissed.

"Shhh!" He pressed the gun harder against your temple. You shut your eyes as his lips brushed against your cheek. "Shut up, got it?

"Now," he boomed, his voice hurting your ears. "We are going to quietly outside. You two are going to get in our car, and we are going to go for a drive. There will be no screaming, fighting, or talking. Any one of these will just earn you a bullet in your head. Understood?"

You barely nodded. He loosened his hold on you and you stepped out of his arms. As badly as you wanted to run into Lex's, you kept to yourself. He watched Jeff with careful eyes.

"Let's go," he said. He pushed you ahead and kept rhethe gun at your spine. He looked at Lex. "Make a move and she's paralyzed or dead. Now go. Right beside her."

He obeyed without question. His eyes, however, were the same you had seen on that night six years ago as he watched Superman. He was filled with the exact same hate.

Carl took the lead and stepped out of the room. Down the hallway, down the steps, Jeff pressed up against you, the gun always on your back. People don't stare. For the first time you prayed that they would. But they didn't.

And soon enough, you were by the car. Lex was shoved in the back. You tried to get in beside him, but Jeff shoves you into the passenger side. Carl was quickly handed the gun as slid in next to Lex.

Jeff leaned over and buckled your seatbelt. He smiled and you shook, your eyes filled with tears. He brushed your hair away. "Don't move, and he'll be okay." And then he kissed your forehead. You flinched.

He shut your door and quickly walked to the other side of the car. Whistling as he started it up, you looked into the mirror. Lex was staring at the back of Jeff's head with plain fury. It scared even you.

Then, he looked at you. A tear fell down your cheek quickly. His expression softened and he nodded only slightly to say, We will get out of this. But you knew that it was a low chance.

You licked your lips and looked at Jeff. "Where are we going?" you asked carefully.

"Hey!" Carl exclaimed. You glanced back as he hit the barrel of the gun against Lex's head. "Shut up! You want me to kill him?"

"Stop!" you pleaded.

"I'll do it---!"

"Enough," Jeff snapped. He slowly reached over and took your hand. "We're just going out. Then you and me, we're movin' on together."

Your heart sank. That was it, then. No matter what you did, Lex would be killed. Jeff's promises to keep him breathing as long as you behaved were all lies. "Okay." You sat back, swallowing thickly as you slowly curled your fingers forward to hold Jeff's hand.

You didn't want this. Lex knew that. Even Jeff probably knew that somewhere in his screwed up brain. That's why he was so angry. He knew that you had chosen a murderer over him, so that's what he would be. A murderer. As if that would automatically make you find him attractive again.

He drove for thirty minutes. You were literally in the middle of nowhere. He had taken a dusty side road that led away from the cities and towns. He parked on the side of the road and climbed out.

Carl opened his door and climbed out. You were left in the silent car with Lex for a few moments. Tears continued to quietly fall just as they had for half an hour now.

"I'm sorry," you squeaked.

Lex shook his head. "Don't be sorry. I'm the one that got totally wasted and let them drag me into their car. I'm the one that led them straight to you. God, this is my fault."

"No," you replied. Before you could say more, Jeff threw your door open.

"Out of the car nice and slow, now," he said. You obeyed. You moved like a turtle, Lex did the same. "On your knees."

You fell onto your knees. The rocky gravel hurt you and the dust made your eyes itchy. Lex was only inches away from you. You knew what was coming and you were terrified. Carl cocked the gun and smiled, handing it to Jeff. You closed your eyes.

"Jeff," you said quickly as he aimed the gun at Lex's head. "I'm sorry. It was wrong of me to just cut you off like that. I should've considered how you felt. I should've talked to you about it instead of hiding. I was just scared of what someone might say about him."

Jeff nodded. "I get it, baby. Don't worry." He moved to kneel in front of you. "And I swear, I'll end this and you'll never have to see him again. It'll be just us for a long time." You let out a sob and he stroked your cheek with the back of his hand. Lex was fuming. Then, Jeff grabbed your chin roughly and forced his lips on yours.