Prologue

Prologue

Emma's POV

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I stepped into the room just as grandma opened her eyes. She looked exhausted and her usually jolly face was pale and lifeless. My heart took an unexpected jolt when I saw her. After all I had gone through, God decided it was not enough and put my granny’s life on stake.  My granny was the one and only person remaining in my life after my parents and my sister died in a car crash two years ago. I was all alone in this huge world, and right now, I felt like a paper bag drifting through wind; frail and fragile.

It had been two days since I found out that grandma had breast cancer. She barely had eight months to live, provided she got care and treatment. Here she was, in one of the cancer care centre wards, and here I was, an undergrad student studying medicine, yet I could do nothing to help her. We were in need of money, immediate need of money. I didn't have a job as I wasn’t qualified enough to work. I needed to come up with something, and quickly. I was too tensed and worried that I barely heard grandma utter my name.

“Emma,” she said meekly. “Is that you? Were you up all last night? Answer me Emma. I want you to go to your university and study and leave the worrying to the doctors here. Please. I’ll be alright in no time.”

I looked up at her and immediately rushed to her side. I held her thin, fragile hand in my sweaty palms and gently caressed them. “Shh grandma, you’re too weak to speak. Don’t worry about me. I got enough sleep last night and I haven’t missed any important lectures so it’s okay. I’m here because you need me. Now, go to sleep, the doctor said that you need plenty of rest.”

With that I kissed her left cheek and left the ward. I felt like a zombie walking out of the hospital. A million things were on my mind right now. I needed money for grandma's treatment. I needed her to survive. I wouldn't be able to bear seeing her shut her eyes forever. I was in desperate need of money and for that I needed a job. But who would want to hire me? I had not even finished my studies.

As I walked throught the busy streets of Pasadena, California, my mind was whirring with ideas of trying to find a job. I reached my apartment and I still hadn't any clue of what I was going to do. I opened the door to my apartment, turned on the lights of my grotty little flat and jumped onto the couch. As soon as my head touched the soft leather of the couch, I was asleep (despite the fact that it was still late afternoon.) I had been up all last night waiting for grandma to regain her conciousness and right now I was so tired that my brain felt like a soggy mass of cotton wool. I left my worries for tomorrow...

************************************************************************************************************

Hiya!! wattpaders, my friend and I decided to write this story. Hope this was good.*fingers crossed* The story will get more interesting in the coming chapters, but for now comment below to tell us if you liked it or not.

Please, please read the next chapter and add this book to the library. Much love <3

-Bee <3