Prologue

My eyes flutter open and bright light filters into my existence, blinding me momentarily. I glance up to find that I am in Roman's lap with his arms wrapped around my body. Blood covers his face as he watches me intently. I thought that he was dead. That I was dead. Furrowing my eyebrows in confusion, I remove his arms from me and stumble backwards away from him. I gasp loudly as my tongue runs along my elongated canines. My hands instantly feel my face and inspect my teeth, tugging at them to no avail.

"Cortelia, it's natural to be confused. You've just made the transition into full Upyr" My mother's voice speaks from behind me, causing me to spin on the spot and face her. When did she get here? "It's going to be okay" She smiles at me, gently pulling my hair out of my face. Turning my arms, I stare in amazement at the now healed vertical scars on my arms. I look over at Roman whom is sat in a pool of what must be our blood, staring back at me. His green eyes seem more luminous than usual and I have the feeling as if my senses are heightened. I smile as I notice that I can see the individual dust particles in a beam of sunlight that is coming in through a gap in one of the drapes.

My fascination is cut short as the crying of an infant breaks my concentration. I turn to face the source of the noise, which is a black crib with black lace draped over it. Slowly, I walk towards the crib and pull back the drapes to find what has to be a two week old baby. It continues to cry persistently so I gently pick it up and cradle it against my body, swaying gently. The cry ceases when I turn to face Roman, raising my eyebrows at him in an attempt to ask what the hell is a baby doing here.

"Explain, Roman" I speak sternly, rocking the baby gently as it falls asleep in my arms. He stands up and sheepishly makes his way to me. I hold a hand up to stop him from getting too close. I still don't trust him after what he did to me. "I want you to explain everything. This baby and everything else" I continue, gesturing at the two of us as 'everything else'. He drops his gaze to his feet and throws his hands into his pockets, nervously inhaling.

"The baby is mine and Letha's" He speaks. His voice is monotone and full of guilt. My eyes widen in realization, as he continues to speak. "My mother compelled me to fuck my own cousin and then forget about it" He added, sniffling slightly and his voice cracking. A stray tear glides down his beautifully carved face. My breath catches in my throat whilst I stare at him in shock with my mouth agape. His thumb shakily rubs away the tear from his cheek. I feel as if I may collapse so I place the now sleeping infant back into the crib slowly, when I straighten up Roman takes my hands into his. "As for us, I'm so sorry for what I did to you. I lied to you and I won't blame you if you never forgive me" He chokes, more tears falling from his eyes. He suddenly drops to his knees and wraps his arms around my legs tightly. "Please forgive me. I love you" He sobs, clutching at my jeans and burying his face into my knees.