08: Frost At Night

As the day grew dark and was coming to an end, Fallingwish snuck out of TreeClan camp, and began following the invisible path to the gathering clearing.

While Fallingwish made her way through the trees of her territory, she wondered if this was really such a good idea. Sneaking out at night to meet an AshClan cat... But it's not necessarily breaking the code, I mean, only being mates with a cat of a different clan was forbidden.

Fallingwish felt her pelt heat up at the thought, and she shook her head. That's not going to happen.

Finally, Fallingwish reached the AshClan border, where she would have to cross over enemy territory in order to get to the gathering place. The young cat felt a wave of dread wash over her- she had forgotten about this part.

Taking a deep breath, Fallingwish ran into AshClan territory, sprinting toward the gathering clearing. It wasn't too far, so soon, she had made it to the other side- though out of breath. TreeClan cats were built for climbing, not running.

"You actually came!" An excited Frostpaw exclaimed, bounding towards the TreeClan cat. "Wow, I didn't know if you'd actually come, but you did!"

Fallingwish nodded, regaining herself. "Y-yeah, of course! I wouldn't just lie to you."

"Well, I'm glad." Frostpaw purred, before turning and walking farther into the clearing. "You coming?" She asked, looking back at Fallingwish, who followed.

The two cats headed over to the small waterfall, and Fallingwish leaped onto the rock jutting out of it. She looked over the clearing, holding back a gasp of awe. She could see everything, and imagining what it would be like with the cats of all clans gathered below; she would be able to look over them all, and even farther into the Clans' territories.

Frostpaw jumped up next to Fallingwish, and as the tan she-cat glanced at the apprentice, she could see the spark of awe in her pale blue eyes. Frostpaw's mostly white fur glowed silver in the dim moonlight bathing the clearing, her thin whiskers twitching at the slight breeze.

"It must be great to be a leader." Fallingwish commented, looking back over the beautiful clearing, a stream from the waterfall flowing around the edge, and trees closing in the sacred area of peace.

Frostpaw nodded. "Yeah, it must be. I wanna be standing up here one day at a real gathering- tomorrow I'll be one step closer to that!" She beamed, her eyes bright with excitement. "I just did my warrior assessment today, and tomorrow I'm getting my warrior name!"

Fallingwish still wasn't over her excitement for receiving her own warrior name, so she knew exactly how she was feeling. "That's awesome Frostpaw! I wonder what name Kestrelstar has chosen for you."

"Yeah, I hope it's nothing stupid like Frostface." Frostpaw wrinkled her nose in disgust. "Seriously, no name sounds good with an ending like face! Why does that even exist?"

Fallingwish shook her head. "I have no idea, but I'm glad I'm not Fallingface."

Frostpaw snorted. "If that was your name, I'd never stop making fun of you."

The two she-cats were quiet for a while, though it was a comfortable silence. A soothing breeze travelled through the air, and the sound of cicadas singing in the bushes was steady and calm. Eventually, Frostpaw was the one to break the silence with her soft voice.

"I wish we could be like CreekClan." She said, not meeting Fallingwish's eyes. "They're so peaceful, and get along with everyone. But AshClan and TreeClan... we're always fighting. I hate feeling like we're at war."

Fallingwish let out a small sigh, before draping her tail over Frostpaw's shoulders in a comforting manner. "I hate it too... all anyone ever talks about at home is how terrible AshClan is."

Frostpaw nodded. "It's the same for me. Everyone thinks all TreeClan cats are bossy, entitled squirrel-brains, but I know that's not true."

"Then I guess it should be our job to show them they're wrong." Fallingwish said with a flick of her tail. "Because they really are wrong. You can't judge a cat by what Clan they come from, that's nonsense! I mean, you're an AshClan cat, but you're not bad at all."

"Thanks, Fallingwish. You're right, we'll show them!" Frostpaw purred.

The two she-cats of rivalling clans jumped down from the odd rock one after the other, and let their paws touch the grass once more.

Frostpaw turned to Fallingwish, looking hopeful. "Can we meet again the night after tomorrow night, since I'll have to sit vigil then?"

Fallingwish nodded, then purred. "Of course, Frostpaw."

"Okay! See ya then!" Frostpaw exclaimed, before running off to go back to her camp.

Fallingwish watched her leave, still feeling slightly unsure, yet glad. Of course, it would be hard to maintain a friendship with a cat in an enemy clan, but after getting to know Frostpaw a little better, Fallingwish knew that it would be worth it.