Ellis || 5 || ukuleles and koala onesies

ELLIS

"I'll sleep on the floor, you can have the bed," Ellis offered with a pillow tucked under his arm.

     Since the moment he'd encountered Violet, normalcy went out the window. He was going to strange locations and meeting odd people. Violet was still a mystery to him as well. He knew exactly four things about her: she had a sweet tooth, she skateboarded, she obsessed over Joey Long, and she was engaged.

     Violet rummaged through her bag for something to change into. "That's stupid. This bed is big enough; we can share it. We'll just face our backs to each other."

     "You're completely comfortable sharing a bed with some random guy you just met?" he asked.

     "Totally, I do this all the time, sometimes with multiple strangers. Orgies are my thing," she said sarcastically. Her eyes softened. "No—for reasons I can't really explain—I'm comfortable with you, Ellis."

     Their eyes connected again. It made Ellis's palms start to sweat. Violet's lips curled into a tiny, sweet smile and then she looked away.

     She stood in front of the mirror on the wall and began to remove the distracting accessories from her lavender hair. Her fingers carefully worked it into a bun atop her head. Ellis had to help her walk to the bathroom, where she could change.

     He waited at the edge of the bed nervously.

     What's wrong with me? Why am I nervous about sleeping beside some girl that looks like she covered herself in glue and fell into a box of candy?

     Violet began to sing in the bathroom. Her voice sounded so melodic. She was singing "Linger" by the Cranberries.

     Now Ellis knew five things about Violet.

     He scrambled through the pile of their belongings on the floor to unzip his suitcase. Tucked away by tacky orange beach shorts and an electric razor was a small ukulele in a black cloth case. Most of the girls he knew seemed to prefer guys who played guitar, so he kept his ukulele addiction hidden. Ellis was sure that Violet probably thought he was such a readable person. It was his turn to shock her.

     Ellis stepped close to the bathroom door and began to strum the ukulele's four strings in time with Violet's song. It took a moment for Violet to register that he was actually playing an instrument. Once she did, her voice got louder.

     When she reached the chorus, the two of them sang it together.

     He pressed his back against the door frame and marveled over how well their voices blended. Her soft, buttery vocal lifts complemented his smoky, rich tenor. Their harmonizing was perfect.

     The song reached the final chord and all fell into silence.

     The door cracked open and Violet poked out her head to look at Ellis with the biggest grin on her face he'd seen yet.