Chap. 7

Colby's POV

I didn't know where I was headed; I just knew I had to get away from here.

But the memories were already there, sparking across my memory in images. Horrifying, haunting images.

I slowed as I reached the fence that surrounded the back half of the school, heavily panting. I grabbed onto the fence, bowing my head.

"Damn Colby," Aaron's voice said behind me.

I quickly whipped around in surprise. I didn't even hear him behind me.

He had his hands on his knees, shaking his head. "There's no better way to find out you're out of shape than to chase you across campus."

I turned away from him, hoping that if I stopped looking at him he'd disappear.

I winced as an image came across my brain, wishing for some alcohol.

"I can help," Aaron said behind me.

"Go away," I snapped, looking out over the fence into the woods.

"I want to help," Aaron continued.

"You don't know what you're talking about."

"Then help me know."

I turned to look at him.

He was standing there with his hands on his hips, still panting. But he had a look of pain on his face.

"You would never understand."

"Maybe," he agreed, with a nod.

"Maybe?" I demanded.

"Maybe I'll never understand. But the way you're choosing to deal with it now? It sucks. So I'm offering you another option."

"I don't need you," I snapped, looking over at the trees as I folded my arms across my chest.

"Maybe," Aaron agreed. "But it's worth a shot."

I slowly felt myself crumbling as the worst image of them all flashed across my mind, the one I'd been holding out on.

"I can help," Aaron said, quietly. "Just give me the chance."

I closed my eyes, slowly shaking my head.

"I want to help," he said, quietly.

"She's dead," I said, my voice cracking. "There's nothing else to say."

I winced as the final image flashed across my mind, and then I took off running again.

It was all I knew to do.

 ~*~

"Why are you home?" dad asked me, as I came in the front door.

I went to push past him, but he blocked my entry up to the stairs.

"What are you doing?" I demanded.

"Colby, you have a game today," dad said, as if I didn't already know that.

"Get the fuck away from me."

Dad winced, shaking his head. "I wish you wouldn't talk like that son." He put his hands on my shoulders. "What are you doing home?" He studied my face. "Colby, what's going on?"

I wrenched away from him, wanting nothing to do with this heart-to-heart he was trying to pull out of me.

"Colby, you're co-captain!" dad called, as I jogged up the stairs. "People look up to you, you have a job to do."

"People don't give a shit about me," I said, before heading back to my room and slamming my bedroom door.

I ripped open my desk drawer, pulling out her journal. I leafed through it, finding the last entry in the journal.