Chap. 8

Aaron's POV

"Watch this," Coach Thompson ordered, playing back one of my passes from the first quarter. "Note your throwing technique."

"That's what we worked on in practice," I said, raising my eyebrows at him.

"Good," he said, with a nod. He fast-forwarded to the fourth quarter. "Now watch this. Note your throwing technique."

I watched as I reverted back to how I was throwing before. But I knew why I was doing it, although I'd never tell Coach Thompson. My shoulder had started to fatigue in the fourth quarter and the pain was pretty bad.

"I've set you up to meet with our team trainer at Vero Clinic," Coach Thompson said.

"What?" I asked. "Why?"

"Because I know what you're not telling me."

Damn.

"And I'd rather have you maybe miss a week in order to help heal your shoulder than to continue to play and further injure it."

"Coach, with all due respect, I don't need to see a doctor," I reasoned. "I'm sure if I just strengthen up my shoulder-"

"This isn't up for discussion Aaron," Coach Thompson said, cutting me off. "You're seeing the team trainer tomorrow morning at 8 AM and that's final."

I sighed but nodded, knowing better than to try and argue.

"Oh, and congratulations on winning class president," he said, with a nod.

Colby looked over at me in shock. "You won that?"

I nodded, surprised that I'd managed to forget about that. But after everything that happened on Friday, it hadn't really crossed my mind.

"Monday's practice is team bonding," Coach Thompson said. "So you boys can go ahead and spread the news. And it's a mandatory practice, so anyone that misses doesn't play on Friday."

"Yes sir," we both chimed in unison.

"Alright good."

We both left, Colby behind me.

"Is your shoulder stopping you from throwing?" Colby asked me, as I went to unlock my car.

"What?" I asked, surprised by the question.

"Does your shoulder bother you when you throw?" Colby repeated.

I looked back at Coach Thompson's house. I didn't see him anywhere. "Only towards the end of the game, it's really not a big deal."

"Then you should go to the doctor," Colby said, before boarding his motorcycle.

"Okay dad, thanks," I said, sarcastically.

"I'd rather have a working QB than a broken one," Colby said, bluntly, before pulling on his helmet.

I ignored him, sliding into my car.

Colby beat me home, which was nothing new. I'm not even sure he knew what the words Speed Limit meant.

"Hey," Elaine chirped, as I came inside.

"Hey," I said, with a smile.

"So I was thinking that we could pick up donuts before the council meeting tomorrow morning?"

"Wait what?" I asked, my mind reeling.

"You didn't forget did you?" she asked, with a teasing smile. "We have our first council meeting tomorrow Mr. President."

I let out a frustrated groan, tossing my keys onto the counter.

"What's the matter?"

"I have this stupid, unnecessary doctor's appointment tomorrow morning," I groaned.