Chapter 2: loathing

I don't want to go home. Not right now, not today, not at all. I'm getting kinda hungry and I don't have any money on me so i have to. I could of showed up to school late but I just can't handle it, this day has been too much already and it's not over yet at all. I'll take the longest way home and just turned on some music, I'm trying  to zone everything out and before i know it...... I'm home.
I walked up the drive way and it took me a minute to open the door. I took a deep breath and tried to go in without being noticed, it's not the first time I've skipped school. As i walked up the stairs I heard a voice echo behind me. "Really kenna, skipping school again?"  I slowly turned around "uh....yeah sorry won't happen again."
Gram was now getting louder "You said that last time... And the time after that!!" 
"What's going on?" Diana walked in.... A sudden rush of emotions flowed through me and everything went silent. I didn't think she would be home already it was still really early. "Mckenna skipped school again, it's 3 Days before school ends and she's been continuously not going." My grandmother broke the silence. "Why do you care?" I looked straight at her. I didn't know what else to reply, she's been gone for so long... She shouldn't care. My eyes were tearing up, i turned around and charged to my room. "Don't walk away from me young lady" gram shouted but I didn't look back or acknowledge her.
I got to my room and slammed the door. I'm so angry with everyone and everything. How could she come back after so long and just act like everything was okay? Like I didn't spend everyday after she left thinking it was because of me. You don't just forget shit like that. I cried until i just can't anymore and eventually fell asleep. There was a knock on the door. "Go away." Being half asleep, I don't want to be bothered. They keep knocking.... "Ken open up...its me aunt cam." If there is anyone I want to see, It was her. I jumped out of bed and unlocked the door. She walked in shutting the door behind her "are you okay baby?"
"No cam she's really here " i started sobbing again, I rarely cry but when i do it's pretty damn bad. Aunt cam is trying to comfort me the best she can but it isn't working. "I know kid, but you gotta be strong." "it won't be bad forever." "You're gonna be alright just be strong." Nothing she could have said would console me so she's holding me. We laid in bed for a while with my head on her chest as she gently strokes my hair. Eventually she says  "kenna it's time to get up now, you can't lay in bed avoiding everything" she takes my hand and walks me down stairs. To see my mothers face is the last thing i wanted. "Be strong" she whispers. Everyone is seated at the dining room table and there was 2 plates for aunt cam and I.
We taks a seat, as far away from Diana as possible. "I missed you so much while you were away!" Carter blurted as she wrapped her arms around Diana. she's also her sister, the youngest of three. She's younger than me so I don't really even consider her my aunt. Diana hugs carter tightly and kisses her forehead. pain and anger shoots through me. "I missed you too baby girl." My mother replies holding her tighter. She never did that with me...never. Aunt cam glanced over and gave me a sympathetic look. We continued eating with little to no controversy besides my grandparents asking how everyones day was.... "Fine." "Okay." "Good." I can't believe they're acting like everything is so normal, this is not normal...my mother is home.
"Did you know that kenna got the highest grades in her class?" Cam broke the awkwardness but how would Diana know? She didn't know. My own mother does not know a single thing about me. "That's a surprise considering she never shows up." Diana snickered and she sorta just brushed cam off. I stand up quickly, slamming my glass hard as fuck. I heard it shatter but didn't stick around to see the mess. I ran upstairs and aunt cam ran after me. She caught me on the stairs and took me to her room.
I was dead ass sobbing, she laid me in her bed and held me tightly. "Shhhh kenna calm down please." Tears were still running down my face. " She h-hates m-me" i said even though it hurt to say it. Cam looked me in the face and said "aww honey she doesn't hate you, she's just confused that's all."
I wiped my eyes but i was still extremely shaky. "Confused about what?" I asked
"I don't know exactly." That wasn't much help but I knew she was trying and i also knew that my own mother really did hate me. No matter what anyone said, i was convinced that Diana hated me & i hated her.