Chapter 6

'

Jack coughed and swallowed, wincing as his throat constricted. He watched his feet as he walked further and further into the small woods, the sounds of twittering birds soothing him, but he stopped suddenly. He stiffened as he inhaled the smell of burning branches. Smoke. It stung his nose. Scowling, Jack followed the smell. He tensed further as he stopped behind a grove of trees, hidden from sight as he took in the scene. There was a boy hanging by his ankles from a tree branch. Two ugly, green hobgoblins poked at a fire as a third started to dissect the hanging human.

Jack nearly tripped over his own feet as he jumped around the group of trees and charged towards the slimy green men, his hunting knife raised. Everything seemed to happen so quickly to Jack Minel. The two closer goblins looked up, startled as Jack swiftly cut into their throats. They gave one final, surprised hiss before greenish-blueblood started to spurt out of the deep cuts in their necks. Their eyes rolled into the back of their heads.

The third and last hobgoblin roared as he spun away from the hanging boy and charged at Jack with the ax raised. Almost without thinking, Jack ducked as the green man ran right past him. When his back was turned, Jack lodged the knife to the hilt in his back. The goblin stared down at the end of the knife sticking out of his stomach, shocked. Wordlessly, he dropped to his knees.

Jack sighed with relief before extracting his knife from the lifeless body. He wiped the blade of the knife off on the goblins shirt with a sound of disgust, before turning towards the imprisoned boy. He thought a moment before walking up and just slicing the rope. The boy gave a strangled cry before falling to the ground in a messy heap, his blond hair flying out around him. Jack chuckled before extending his hand to the blond boy. He just looked at the offered hand before trying standing up and hastily brushing off his clothes, his face red. His ankle screamed at him as he stood up, but soon he stood upright. His ankle was turned at a certain ankle,lessening the pressure and pain.

Jack laughed as the boy clumsily bowed before holding out his hand to him. "Hello, my name is Don." Don looked uncomfortable as to how to address the situation, but Jack only smiled. Clasping his hand, Jack shook it with great fervor. It had been almost ten years since someone had offered to shake his hand. "Hello, my name is Jack Minel."

There was a moment of silence as both men pondered on what to say next, but finally Don spoke. "Thank you for saving me from ....whatever those things were. I think they were going to roast me then eat me." Jack only nodded before saying, "Those green little guys are called goblins. Hobgoblins to be exact. The last time I ran into them, they tried to eat both of my legs." Jack laughed at the memory, while Don looked at him horrified.

After a moment of near hysterical laughter, Jack stopped and stared suspiciously at Don. "By the way, what exactly are you doing in the middle of a deserted forest? There aren't people for miles."

Don stared back, wide eyed. He wasn't sure whether he should tell Jack about his escape and his imprisoned sisters, but after staring at him for what seemed like eternity, he finally nodded. "I guess it wouldn't hurt to tell you. Yesterday, I escaped from the prison in the kingdom, for stealing food off a cart. My two sisters are still trapped, though." At this thought, Don's face grew sour and distant.

Nodding his head in understanding, Jack simply said, "Well, don't feel too bad, because the house I built with my own hands, and lived in for seven years, burned to the ground yesterday, so..."

Don spoke softly, "Sorry." He didn't sound very sorry, in Jack's opinion. Clearing his throat, Jack gave one last nod at Don before turning to leave and continue his unending quest for food.

Don stood there, staring after him, confused and perturbed. If he wandered the forest alone, more hobgoblins, or something even worse could get him. Plus Jack was both taller and bulkier. Not to mention he had a knife. But if he did go with Jack, he could turn on him at any minute. Jack looked back over his shoulder, a questioning look on his face. After a moments thought, Don took off after Jack, as fast as his ankle would let him.