Chapter Five - Part l

Presidential Bunker Underneath White House

Washington D.C.

Late 5 March 2020

            “Eagle Sat Sierra-One-One coming online now, Sir,” One of the technicians announced as the large screen mounted on the wall began displaying split-screen images. In the upper-right corner what seemed like random numbers, but must have meant something to someone, counted upward. Below that a depiction on the Earth’s curvature with dozens of blinking lights with numbers next to them showed the missiles; but the most important was the rest of the screen. On the left side was a grainy image showing the moon and quite a few round objects floating near it. “We’ve had to shut down most of our satellite network to keep the Druidth from zeroing in on them and shooting them down. For the most part, it didn’t work, but we still have a few up and running dark.”

            Everyone of importance sat at the table, with the President at the head turned around to face the screen. Wheeler stood with his hands behind his back and starting down the wall like it was about to attack him. Lovett, who sat next to Burbank on the very end, silently flipped through the report that Laughlin had given out about the research done on the Druidth weapon capabilities.

            “They’re not really orbiting the Moon,” Wheeler declared. “Actually they’re more like about ten miles out. Far enough to avoid EMP damage and radiation hitting the Earth but close enough to allow us to watch them die horribly…”

            At that Burbank glanced over at Lovett who just shook his head slowly without looking up. Obviously Wheeler would be here, as would Laughlin and Lovett, but Richard still wondered why he was invited to sit in. Perhaps it was professional courtesy extended to him by President Garrett, or maybe… he couldn’t even think of a maybe right now. He was still squeamish about what was happening.

            Garrett steepled his fingers together in thought and sat quietly, even as the first missiles appeared on screen. “Is it just us that’s launching?” Burbank asked out loud.

            “Yes,” The Secretary of Defense answered. “The Chinese preferred to keep all of their boats tied up where the Party could keep an eye on them,” He paused and wiped his nose. “Big mistake since it was the largest naval base on the East China Sea. We figure that all of their valued Type-Ninety-Four’s are now nothing more than slightly radioactive dust.”

            “What about Russia?” Garrett asked, now involved in the conversation. “Or England? France? Didn’t India and Pakistan have missiles?”

            Wheeler chuckled. “India and Pakistan were indeed nuclear powers, key word being were. None of them were sub based and were thus destroyed in the attack. That’s what saved us; the fact that the boats were well underwater when it happened.” Reports from the Pentagon, which surprisingly enough remained standing, read that the orbiting warships couldn’t shoot something as small as a sub so far underwater. “As for the Limeys and Frogs,” Wheeler continued using typical slang for the English and French. “I believe that they have so few that they are willing to sit this one out and let the heavies take care of business. Or I should say the heavy, since Russia’s boomers faced the same fate as China.”

            Lovett looked up and grinned. “That’s what happens when you don’t trust your people. Give a man a gun and you’re telling him he has your trust. The Commies never seemed to understand that…” Chuckling warmly now, he added. “I suppose we should send a nice ‘Thank You’ letter to the Druidth when all this is over. After all, they managed to single handedly take out all of our enemies nuclear capabilities…”

            “Something the CIA has been trying to do for years and never accomplished,” Wheeler added. He was old school, a true believer of standup fights every time with no need for the cloak and dagger stuff that came naturally to Lovett.

            “Mr. Secretary,” The technician asked looking up from his console. “We just got word from Minot Air Force Base.”

            “Let’s hear it, son,” Garrett declared.

            “Yes Sir. Minot reports that the Aztec flight struck Fort Peck colony less than one hour ago. The follow up U-2 reconnaissance flight shows that all targets destroyed. The place was leveled, Sir.”

            A cheer erupted across the room as the first Human victory against the Druidth was announced. Burbank didn’t like that much, but intelligence said that that place was a hotbed of military equipment and he had no choice but to believe them. As far as he knew, all the civilians were evacuated days ago, or perhaps there ever were any civilians there and they were all soldiers; he had never been to the Fort-Peck colony, despite it being the largest one in the U.S.

            “Specialist,” Wheeler asked the tech that was working on the computer in the corner. He was pointing to the screen where the orbiting ships were depicted. “What does this mean?” Where the ships were tightly clustered earlier they were now drifting apart further and further as the image refreshed itself.

            “Nothing good, Sir,” The Tech answered. “I think the ships are breaking apart to avoid the missiles.”

            “Damn! Can we re-aim the warheads?”

            “No Sir. These are single shot missiles. Once they’ve passed the second stage there’s no re-tasking them.”

            Wheeler, growing visibly distressed, wiped his face again. “We knew this would happen. Let’s just hope they don’t get too far apart before the missiles get there.”