Chapter Twelve

Frederick, Colorado

8 Hours After Initial Airstrike

            With all of the noise and chaos earlier, the night had settled into a quiet calm with the soft chirping of the crickets in the fields and lawns. Behind him the door opened then gently closed, sensing he wanted to be left alone Nick left the overhead light off. Softly, his sneakers padded across the concrete towards the swinging chair his father built for his mother a few years ago for their anniversary.

            “You okay?” He asked the darkness.

            In lieu of a reply, he saw James’ silhouette raise an arm and swat away a mosquito.

            “Look,” Nick started then thought better of what he was going to say. Trying another track, he said, “If you sit out here stewing in your own regret and self-loathing you’ll just make yourself sick…”

            “What if that’s the point?” James asked in a gravelly voice.

            “Well, it’s a stupid point.”

            Nick felt sorry for him, he did. It wasn’t easy losing both parents in an afternoon, then losing one of the few people who not only understood his grief but had helped him through the worst of it. He knew it was hard losing someone, he himself lost his dad the same day as James three months ago, but he was sure that watching Kelsey die right in front of him wasn’t something his friend could just shrug off.

            “Hey, Mom,” Since Candace took James in so graciously he had taken to calling her mom occasionally, Nick supposed it helped him get over the hurt. “Mom says that if you don’t come in then we’ll drag you in, bathe you, and force feed you.”

            “Fine,” James answered softly. Nick thought he wouldn’t get up but slowly James stood up and shuffled into the house, kicking his shoes off at the door like he always did. On his way in behind him, Nick stopped and glanced at the black, flat bottomed skateboarder shoes that James wore. Normally so clean, these were covered in a fine layer of dust, probably from the park, and Nick hoped the dust wasn’t the cremated remains of the people that died today.

            On the TV the news reported that over 70 people died in and around Miners Park today with nearly two dozen planes shot down in the area, Druidth and American alike. Though they withheld the names of the victims Frederick was a small town and it wasn’t hard to find out who had died today. As Nick rounded the corner he forced himself to stifle a laugh as she saw his mother watching a rerun of an old Powerpuff Girls episode instead of the news.

            “Mom, seriously?” He asked, gesturing to the screen.

            “Hey, this is better than the same morbid crap that what’s on every other channel…” Yes, the attacks were still on going in Denver, and to a lesser extent Ft. Collins to the north. And yes, many people were afraid of what was happening, the authorities even came around and told people not to turn on any unnecessary lights so as to avoid giving the bombers anything to navigate by. So far, however, it was as if this new war hadn’t reached their small town.