Chapter 1 - One fateful night..

Synopsis: Briar gets invited by her boyfriend to a 'mate's party. That mate soon becomes a specific figure in her life.
This originally started as a one shot on my other book, but I decided to continue it as a story (apologies if it's a little short).

Briar's POV
"Wow." My boyfriend, Devon exhales as I strut into view wearing a bright yellow dress with a dipped front, displaying some cleavage.
"You look gorgeous." He kisses my cheek as we head towards his car door.

We had just arrived at a house, massive in width and height, almost a mansion.
"Who's party is this again?" I totter in my heels, clutching onto my boy's arm.
"My mate Myles. He was my best bud but then he moved away- he's only just returned from California." He explains, not taking his eyes off the house.
"Seems like he's doing well for himself." I extend a manicured finger, referring to the house and how rich he must be to afford such a place.

My feet started sinking into the pebbled driveway so I steady myself using Devon as a platform.
He suggests that maybe I shouldn't have worn heels, but I protested in the fact that I would be too short.  His phone vibrates soon after, signalling to him that the boys want to have time alone- he asks me if I'm okay with this, which of course I am. When he leans in to kiss me I notice something in his eyes, regret. He was super sweet that he felt bad about leaving me, but I understood that he needed time with his mates without a girlfriend hanging around. I watch as he runs the rest of the driveway, which leaves me to make my own way.

Eventually when I reach the house, I start to hear the music booming loudly, the distinct smell of alcohol and sex were fragrantly milling around. I don't recognise any of the faces, a blur of colour and a whir of sound. I settle on sipping punch and sitting on the stairs, waiting until my boyfriend returned.
The party was actually lit, and I would've enjoyed it if it wasn't for the unknown individuals chatting me up every so often. One of these strangers tried to kiss me at one point, so I excused myself to the toilet.
I search the rooms upstairs for a loo, first opening a room filled with gadgets; rollexs, iPhones, iPads and what have you. Immediately I could tell this was Devon's best friend's room. I close the door and continue searching, most of the doors were locked; probably to stop the hardcore parties trashing the house.

My hand reaches the next unlocked room's door handle, without hesitation I push the door- which reveals my boyfriend in bed with my best friend Jessy. Both in their underwear and kissing heavily. By their actions and the way my 'bestie's hair was tangled, it was obvious where these actions were headed.
I feel the blood boil and my eyes start to sting, pitiful tears wetting my dried mouth.
"WHAT THE FU-" I screech, Devon realises my presence. He jumps out of the bed and lurches at me, trying to get me to stay and listen to him.
"I can explain!"
I tell him to not bother, staying strong. But as soon as I turn and run for the stairs, I can't stop the tears from waterfalling down my cheeks.

Halfway down the stairs I prize the heels which were hindering me from my feet and throw them at a picture frame parallel to me. It shatters into a million pieces, but in the moment I didn't care- this rich kid could afford a new one. I didn't give a shit.
I finished my journey down the stairs bare foot and start running for fresh air, wiping my eyes with my forefinger. I bash directly into the tall boy from before who tries to hit on me once more, but I run straight past him.

The garden was where I managed to end up, I then had a perfect view of the landscape and massive pool displayed infront of me. A lone boy sat on the edge, swinging a vodka bottle and letting the liquid burn his throat. I start wandering towards him, my bare feet hitting the patio and causing him to turn round.
I sit next to the boy, letting my calves submerge in the pool.
I grasp his vodka bottle and release it from his grip, I then myself sip from it- attempting to drain it. But I soon feel a hand taking my wrists and retrieving the alcohol.