Chapter Thirty-Three

Zeus's idea of shopping wasn't going out to the mall, or even to a high name brand store in the middle of this strange mountainous realm.

No, his idea of shopping was calling a professional tailor and a representative of a particular suit line of which I have never heard of, come to his palace and hand make him his suit on the spot. I ended up taking a seat on one of the old dusty leather armchairs, sitting back and watching as Zeus stood in front of three different mirrors the size of friggin' Heaven's gates while a male fae quickly took his measurements and the representative scribbled the notations down.

So, what had I come to learn about Zeus so far?

He was extremely materialistic. He owned over two thousand suits, of which he'd only worn most of them once, if not at all. Three hundred pairs of shoes, twenty pairs of boots. And don't get me started on that wall of watches, sunglasses, golden pimp chains, and the likes. Suffice it to say, Zeus was doing what a textbook definition depressive would do to fill a void in their life. By stuffing it full of expensive Italian silk suits.

He also had a libido that wouldn't quit, or perhaps, it was how he got all the stuff he wanted the way he wanted it. Because the moment the fae and rep came in, he was flirting with them. With the male fae, he would smirk at the male as he measured around his waist. The fae would squirm and blush to the tips of his ears, clear his throat as he struggled to maintain at least a modicum of professionalism. And with the female rep, who forced herself to maintain eye contact with her notepad, she was blushing and all Zeus was doing was glancing over at her.

The god had more sex appeal than Eros, and he was the god of lust for fuck's sake.

Then there was his temper. He'd smashed his bathroom mirror just a few minutes before the guests had arrived because the person on the phone he'd spoken to told him it would be about ten minutes before they could arrive. He'd also broken his showerheads because of the lack of water pressure, which he then called someone to come fix because the god knew not a thing about plumbing and he'd already learned that the hard way by trying to fix it himself.

Let's see... What else was wrong with this trainwreck? Ah yes.

From the brief moment between Hades and Zeus the day before, I'd learned that Zeus was completely and utterly obsessed with Hades to the point of being not only extremely unhealthy, but downright eerie. Even though he didn't speak the god's name aloud, and he hadn't done anything direct to reveal his obsession, I noticed it in the way he grimaced at sarcastic ire, be it mine or the rep's. He loved the color blue, and I'm not talking cerulean or teal. I'm talking an unbelievable shade of electric blue that was damn near impossible to replicate.

He also had an entire library dedicated to science books, from biomedical sciences to astrophysics, and none of them had been read. They were just there as a reminder that the person he was obsessed with adored them and he wanted to have something to share with the god. Aside from bloodline.

Oh, and Zeus was also obsessed with himself, only secondary to Hades. And it wasn't that Zeus loved himself, in fact, I got the feeling Zeus hated himself to the depths of Tartarus, but he went out of his way to maintain this fucking love me fascade. He spent nearly half an hour doing his hair, even though it was spectacular and there was no need to whine about it, and he appeared to be looking at himself in the mirror for no other reason than he could.

And here I thought Set had quite the baggage. Set had dealt with self-loathing, fear of himself, of the beast inside him, dealt with fear of judgement, of rejection, of loss. He was struggling to cope without Ra there to keep him elevated. He was also dealing with his own personal trauma at the hands of not only Horus, but Nyx as well.