Chapter 2 - Lilith's Secret

I walk through the woods with Gray, Kale, Alex, and Leigh. We had been walking for the last couple of hours, and we're starting to lose light.

"Let's head back." I say while looking around the forest we were in. All the boys look back at me and I raise an eyebrow. "What?" I ask and the three brothers laugh.

"Are you scared of the dark or something?" Kale asks and I sigh. "No, but unless you want to get ambushed by thieves or monsters, I suggest we head back." I say, making Kale turn around along with his brothers.

Gray and I start laughing, making the three brothers look at us in confusion. "I was joking, we don't have to go. We're safe in these woods. They're protected." I say between laughs and I hear one of the three boys growl.

Gray keeps walking with me beside him and the brothers behind us. We walk until we come to a small shrine. "I've never seen this before." Gray says and I look at him before starting to feel weird.

"Me neither." I say and look at the boys behind us. They're staring at the shrine and I turn around to see Gray walking around it. I step closer to it before collapsing on the ground.

I hear Gray calling my name until my vision blurs to black, and I'm passed out.

I wake up in my room with Lady Keelee beside me. I look around the room until my eyes land on the door. It's closed, but I always keep mine open. "Ah, Miss Lilith, You're awake." Lady Keelee cheers, breaking me from my thoughts.

I look at her and nod. "Yeah, I'm fine." I say before sitting up. "I just passed out." I mumble and Lady Keelee looks at me. "You did not just pass out, you were covered in something that I got off of you. It was of a magic essence or something." She says and I look towards my hands.

"Yeah, I know." I mumble before getting up. "If you want, you can leave. I'm going to change." I say before turning towards the small room connected to mine.

I change into my clothes before walking out. Lady Keelee is looking at a drawing on my bedside table, and I run over before taking it from her. "Sorry, I just don't like anyone seeing my drawing." I mumble, looking at my drawing of a wyvern.

"Were you friends with a wyvern?" Lady Keelee asks and I put the drawing on the bedside table. "After my mother died and before I met Gray, I had a wyvern friend. But he left because of hunters. That's all I'm saying." I whisper before walking towards the door.

"And please don't look at my drawings." I say, a bit too harshly, before leaving my room and going to the library.

I keep away from everyone else while making my way downstairs. When I get to the library, I look around for the book I had been reading on wyverns and wyvern hunters.

I find it and immediately my old friend, F'Ryth, comes to my mind. I sigh and look down at the book. "I miss you." I whisper to myself before sitting against the fireplace.

I hear footsteps coming from the staircase and look up to see my father. "Lady Keelee told me that you had come down here a few hours ago." He says and I nod. "I've been thinking about F'Ryth." I mumble while marking my page in the book.

My father sits beside me and I look at him. "Your mother was right though. You're a special child, and still my favorite." He says and I laugh while my vision blurs with tears. "I'm still the only child that stayed." I laugh.

"I miss her." I say while I lay my head on my father's shoulder. "I do too." He says. I hear a crash and stand up immediately.

I leave my father down in the library while rushing upstairs. When I get up the stairs, I see the three brothers and Gray arguing and something is broken on the ground.

I walk slowly over to the broken object and pick up the pieces. "What is this about?" I ask, still staring at the broken object.

Gray clears his throat, making me look up at him. He scratches the back of his neck before looking at the floor. "Kale and I was fighting, and we made Alex knock that over on accident." Gray says and I wrap my fingers over the object, letting the chain that remains on it hang out of my hand.

"Gray, how could you?" I ask while looking at the object. I walk past them and go outside before walking to the guard tower. Faren sees the chain hanging out of my hand and looks at me in questioning. "Gray and two of the boys knocked over my mother's necklace and broke it."

I put the necklace on the table before walking over to Faren. "Anyways," I breath, "do you want to go ride the horses?" I ask and Faren shrugs. "We can ride them around my area because I have to go keep watch." She says and I nod.

Faren smiles before starting to run towards the stables and I run after her. "Hey! That's not fair! You got a headstart!" I call, completely forgetting about my mother's necklace.

Faren runs in the stables and I follow before jumping on my horse. "Ha! I beat you!" Faren taunts and I started laughing. "Come on, my watch starts in a couple of minutes." Faren says and I nod.

We ride to the front gate and wait for the guard to open the gate. When it's open, our horses walk out before they go to a gallop. "Around the perimeter?" I ask and Faren nods. "Completely."

We ride around the perimeters for hours until the next guard takes watch. I look to the woods and heel my horse's side, making him run in them. I hear Faren behind me and calling for me, but I ignore her.

I come to a ritual spot and look around. "Lilith!" Faren calls and I look behind me. "Why'd you leave?" Faren asks and I look around the ritual spot. "Nothing. I just thought I saw someone." I mumble before looking around one last time.

F'Ryth, where have you been? I sigh and turn around before racing Faren back to the village.