Chapter Two: Nikki

"This is your home, Nikki."

The car halts to a stop and I crane my neck, peering out the window. Across the street, set back behind a rusted, cast-iron fence is an large, brick building. Gold, tarnished letters on the gates of the fence read,

"MRS. DUNCAN'S HOME FOR CHILDREN"

Just seeing this sign truly confirms to me that I'm not going home to my parents. When we got rescued, I was so excited to go home. To finally see my parents again. When they first told me that I would be going to an orphanage, I still had a small flicker of hope that maybe, just maybe, my parents would surprise me and come to take me home. But now, I have to confront the harsh reality that I don't have any parents to go home to.

"Are you alright Nikki?" Alicia, the Coast Guard official asks.

My throat tightens as tears threaten to spill from my eyes.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I say quickly, still not turning away from the window.

"Alright, then let's go."

Alicia gets out of the car and I do as well, slamming the door shut behind me. We begin to walk towards the orphanage in silence. As we walk, there is only one person I can't stop thinking about.

Dylan.

I miss him already. And the thing that hurts the most is that I barely even got to say goodbye to him. His parents came immediately to get him, and before I could even open my mouth to say anything, I was whisked away by Alicia. All that I could do was give him a lame wave goodbye.

The iron gates swing open, making a horrible screeching sound. I don't know why, but I hate this place already.

I hate the fact that an orphanage is my home.

We walk across the lawn, our feet crunching on the dead leaves. Once we reach the front door, Alicia rings the doorbell. I wait, tapping my foot nervously and trying to calm the pit of dread in my stomach.

Suddenly, the door swings open, revealing a plump, elderly woman with white hair and rosy cheeks. When she sees me, a huge smile breaks out on her face.

"Oh Nikki, it's you!"

Before I can even say anything, she pulls me into a tight hug. I awkwardly wrap my arms around her as she caresses me.

What the hell is going on right now?

When she finally breaks apart she beams at me with tears in her eyes.

"Welcome back home Nikki," she says, wiping a tear from her cheek.

Home.

How could a place like this even be called a home?

I force a smile onto my face even though all that I want to do is cry.

"Well you're in good hands now Nikki. Goodbye," Alicia says, giving me a small smile.

She then turns around and begins walking back towards the car.

"Come in!" the old women, who I am assuming is Mrs. Duncan, exclaims.

She ushers me into a large foyer with a high ceiling, closing the front door behind us. Although faint, I can hear the sound of children's voices from the floors above.

"Now I know you can't remember this place, but this is your home Nikki. And we will do everything that we can to make you feel at home again," Mrs. Duncan says warmly.

I've run out of the energy to talk. All that I can do is plaster another phony smile on my face.

"Let me bring you to your bedroom. It's ready and waiting for you, just how it was before...before you were..."